Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2007 6:26:26 PM EDT
Hello,

I know it's been discussed before, topics have come up before about it, but there hasn't been a definitive, or even general consensus type answer that I could divine out of the situation, so let me ask it once more, so I can make a quick decision about what I need to do:

At what point should a bolt be "married" to it's barrel?  i.e. After how many rounds of firing should a once brand new bolt, having been used in a used barrel never be seperated from that barrel?  Is it even a round count threshold kind of thing?  I've got what was originally a brand new bolt when I got a hold of it, that I threw into a used barrel, but now I'm thinking about swapping barrels out again for another used barrel.  At what point, though, should I just give up that idea, and call it quits, and just buy a new bolt for the new (used) barrel?

At this point, the (once) new bolt has less than 500 rounds on it, but I still like to shoot, and I don't see any reason not to shoot while waiting on a new barrel.  But maybe there is one...

Opinions?

Thanks,
~Augee
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I've swapped bolts and bolt carrier assemblies many times in trouble shooting rifles.  Never a problem.  

And with only 500 rnds, yours is still like new.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#2]
When it wont headspace propperly you probably should not use it.  Ohterwise it wont matter if you use it in multiple barrels.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top