Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 11:58:42 PM EDT
So how hard is it to change a stock, and what kind of tools would I need to do it?

Keep in mind that besides cleaning, the most complicated assembly of my AR that I ever did  was attaching the upper half to the lower half.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:07:55 AM EDT
[#1]
It takes a screwdriver and its easy. You might want a stock wrench if you're putting a collapsing stock back on.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:49:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I switched from my A2 to one of TheTic00's 6 positions in about 30 minutes.  I used a large flat head screw driver for the big screw in the back (top one) of the A2 stock, very small flat head screw driver (to hold the buffer retaining pin down) and the stock wrench I ordered from him with the stock.  It's VERY easy, use this link to make sure you do it right and READ AHEAD or you will lose parts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:25:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Ditto absit;  what I suggest is once you get the buffer tube broken free (and before you unthread it more than one revolution), put a rag over the back end of the lower receiver.  That way, when you make that next turn on the tube and the buffer retaining pin SPROINGS out, it'll be caught in the rag (and not shot over into the corner of your cobweb-filled garage).

That happened to me twice.  In the same day.  About 15 minutes apart.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top