Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2010 3:19:41 PM EDT
Does anyone have definite information as to whether or not the new in-the-white barrels in the Sportsman's Guide kit are finish chambered to .223 Rem (SAMMI) or 5.56x45mm (NATO)?  There seems to be no relevant barrel markings to indicate one way or the other.

I'm reluctant to call S-G to ask, because I suspect that I might get a half-guessed at answer from the company's fleece lined slipper expert (not that there is anything wrong with being an expert in that kind of thing).  With apologies, I'm new to the AR-15.  I have just finished putting together a rifle from one of the kits, and now I'm trying to figure out just what it is that I have.

The build went way easier than I ever would have guessed.  The rifle passes the go / no-go tests using Forster .223 Rem gages, but I have no idea if that certifies or obviates the use of milsurp ammo.

Thank you for any answers which you might be willing to contribute.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question. Century Arms is the importer. Perhaps a call or email to them would yield an answer.

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=KI1925

...unless someone comes along who knows for sure.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Ron at Henderson Defense, who by the way, has purchased a gagle of these kits, did ask that very question more than once and he hasn't been able to get a good answer.  I wish I could get a definitive answer.  Better yet, maybe I can stop by there on my way home from work one day.  Maybe in the flesh, I can get an answer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ron at Henderson Defense, who by the way, has purchased a gagle of these kits, did ask that very question more than once and he hasn't been able to get a good answer.  I wish I could get a definitive answer.  Better yet, maybe I can stop by there on my way home from work one day.  Maybe in the flesh, I can get an answer.

if you could answer the question for us it would be outstanding, ive been trying to figure out if I want to keep this barrel, and i will if its 5.56 compatible.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:28:08 AM EDT
[#4]
It will be a week from today before I can go but I will  go with one of the barrels in hand.  Hope they don't slam the door on me, doubt that they will as I'm a LEO.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:36:04 AM EDT
[#5]
if you have one of the barrels in hand..why don't you just do a cast of the chamber and leade and measure it?

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:14:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
if you have one of the barrels in hand..why don't you just do a cast of the chamber and leade and measure it?
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/482cb43c.jpg

I lack the material and expertise to do this. Wish I could.  It will cost me nothing but a 5 minute delay to stop and ask.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm really surprised that the originators of the product (the barrel manufacturer) did not rollmark the exact caliber ID onto each unit.  Am I confused about the issue, or is this not close enough to being a potential safety-of-use matter that it could lead to exposure?  Please understand that I'm not trying to make waves for anyone, I'm just trying to understand.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]
according to Centurie's site the parts kit says it has a .223 barrel.  YMMV...www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=KI1925
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#10]
For what it is worth, the Century website shows their C15 A1, which is assembled from their parts kit, as being chambered for both .223 and 5.56.

Hal

http://www.centuryarms.biz/products.asp?cat=54&pg=5
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#11]

I am confused by the headspace gauges I bought from Bushmaster.

The website describes them as "5.56 NATO", but the gauges themselves are marked "5.56 / 2.23 REM", as if it means the same thing. (They are also stamped "BUSHMASTER" and "CLYMER".)

Anybody else seen this? I sent an inquiry to Bushmaster at lunch time, but haven't had a reply yet.

edit- Bushmaster never responded, so I posted this question on the BIY forum this morning and got an answer from foxherb53:

The head space gauges are the same for 5.56 and .223, the difference in 5.56 and .223 is the lead in the chamber which the head space gauge does not represent. The gauges represent the head to shoulder datum line dimension.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top