Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/2/2006 9:28:53 PM EDT
My Colt Sporter locks up when I fire Wolf .223's. Other domestic ammo with brass cases works fine. Is it safe to assume that my chamber needs to be opened up and if so is that a job that a rookie can do with some realatively inexpensive tools?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:29:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 2:31:35 AM EDT by mr_wilson]
Welocome aboard knapweed,

If I'm reading your post correctly, your rifle operates fine except when you use Wolf ammo.

Don't use the Wolf, stick with American Eagle, Winchester Q3131 or the Q3131A (my personal choice for plinkin ammo) IF ya can find it, or some other brand.

There are plenty of choices TACKED to the top of the Ammunition Forum, (I also suggest ya print out and read the Ammo Faq which is there also, (top thread, says READ THIS FIRST on it).

While there are plenty here that shoot Wolf ammo with no problems, there are also plenty who like myself prefer more consistently made brass cased M193 ammo, with higher velocities and a better reputation. I have alot tied up in my AR15s and would rather not choose the "cheapest" ammo to feed my rifles, YMMV.

Mike

ETA - as Colts are considered top tier rifles in AR15/M16s I would NOT even consider messing with the chamber on my Sporter......., simply shift your choice for plinking rounds to one which your rifle prefers
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:53:55 AM EDT
Does the Wolf only stick when your barrel is hot?
I had a 20" Del-ton (Wilson) barrel which would stick with Wolf after 2 or 3 mags went through.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:30:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 2:30:58 PM EDT by M4Madness]

Originally Posted By knapweed:
My Colt Sporter locks up when I fire Wolf .223's.

Please define "locks up". What type of malfunction are you encountering? It could be that Wolf (which is underpowered) is causing the rifle to short stroke.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:50:37 PM EDT
Put a cleaning brush (Big enough for the chamber, a .45 pistol works good) on the end of a power drill, and put oil on the brush. spin the brush in the chamber for 10 seconds. IF you 'clean' the chamber this way, you should be able to get rid of the laquer residue that is heating up and making the steel cases stick in the chamber. USE OIL. Then flush out the chamber with solvent, get it REAL clean, then never use steel cased ammo again. The stuck cases can and will break extractors, and basicly make your nice rifle a big paperweight. Its happened to me too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:33:21 PM EDT
First I would like to thank everyone for your suggestions/ideas. Sounds like I should scrub my chamber a little more aggressively and upgrade my choice of ammo. I had heard of the shellac build up from Wolf but I thought I might get around the problem by switching back and forth between cheap & not so cheap ammo. When will I ever learn to stay away from "cheap". I will review the Ammo section of this forum as suggested.
Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:53:35 PM EDT
Are you referring to a wire or fiber brush for the power cleaning with a drill?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:16:22 AM EDT
There should be NO lacquer or buildup of any kind using Wolf.....all Wolf ammo is polymer coated. It should be as easy to chamber as brass cased ammo, even when hot.

Cleaning the chamber well is important....if it still sticks after doing so you should check the rifle with a .min (or "go") headspace guage, just to be sure you don't have a too-tight headspace issue. I have a rifle build right now that has this problem - it won't chamber some ammo and the headspace is just a tad too small. I will have to ream the chamber to address this.

Some may feel it's not a big deal if the gun won't shoot Wolf, but to me it's an indication that something is wrong, somewhere. All my AR's shoot it flawlessly....so something IS wrong with a gun that won't, IMHO. That doesn't mean you should tamper with it, or that it's not going to be 100% with brass cased ammo...just that it should run Wolf just fine.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:24:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By swingset:
Some may feel it's not a big deal if the gun won't shoot Wolf, but to me it's an indication that something is wrong, somewhere. All my AR's shoot it flawlessly....so something IS wrong with a gun that won't, IMHO. That doesn't mean you should tamper with it, or that it's not going to be 100% with brass cased ammo...just that it should run Wolf just fine.

+1
Top Top