Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2004 6:31:30 PM EDT
This may seem like a stupid question but please humor a newby.  I just finished my AR build and I took it to the range.  It shot great.  Anyway, now I have to clean the thing.  What is the proper way to use the chamber brush?  Or, maybe I should say can I do any harm with a chamber brush?  Thanks in advance for the replies.  Keep in mind that if it can be broken, Ican and will break ithinking.gif.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#1]
K9reserve,

Relax!!!! Short of doing something complately inane, you ain't gonna hurt your new baby with a chamber brush!
As for proper use.
The thing is butt simple!
Just remember that your rifle and the issued accoutrements were developed for use by our military.
The mission of every design team that supports this greatest of all Militarys is that everything that can go wrong will go wrong and to avoid being the ones to blame!!!

You have a G.I. stell sectioned bore rod,correct?
If so thread the chamber brush on a section after adding a drop of oil to the threads(You'll thank me for this later) and then thread that section onto the handled section.

Now, take a gander at the last 4" of the handle section.
See those flats that were ground on the rod?
Now notice the open bottom half of the handle, that is opposite to the end of the handle with a hole through it.

Fold and if needed snap the handle over the flats.
Now pull back on the thing as it lays on the long axis of the rod section.
Take another section of bore rod and stick it through the hole.
You now have a "T-Handled" tool with a chamber brush on the end.

Stuff the chamber brush into the chamber untill it bottoms out.
Go ahead, PUSH untill it stops or all the silver "Waist" bristles are in the barrel extension/ locking lug recess.
Now using the extra section that creates the "T-Handle", turn the thing clockwise and allowing for some in and out movement of the brush, SCRUB!!!

Go ahead, wear it out!!!!
Add some solvent or CLP, and do it again.

Then wrap a patch around the Chamber brush and do it all over, to get the now loosened filth out.
Do this 3-5 times or untill the patch comes out clean.

From there Q-tip the locking lug area or use a lug tool to get the loosened mung out of there.

Upon disassembly you will notice that the chamber brush is awfull tight in the rod section.
A drop of oil will keep this from being a hell of a fight, and just a minor skirmish to get it off.

Hope this helps!!
S-28

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#2]
S-28,

Thank you very much for the reply.   I will scrub with fearless abandon.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Just don't cuss any of my Children in the process.....
I ain't got any.

Concentrate on cussing my name alone in that regard
It's more effective.

Hope things work out OK for ya!
S-28

P.S.
The stupid thing is really almost G.I. proof.
I seriously doubt you can hurt the thing with normal service and maintenence.
My guys try all the time and fail miserably.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks, i was wondering the same thing
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone sell nylon chamber brushes??
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never seen one in nylon.
Possibly because nylon just isn't hard/abrasive enough to do a good job.

A brass brush is definitely harder than the residue you are trying to clean off and will scrub the chamber surface well, but no chance it's hard enough to scratch 4140 or 4150 steel.

Several suppliers also carry a fixed-handle/ short rod designed specifically for the AR-15 / M-16 chamber brush. One sits in my AR-15 carry box with brush already installed, ready to go at all times. It's a good alternative to using the military T-handle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#7]
brownells has a nylon chamber brush their new products .
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top