Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2004 5:55:42 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a nice hard case for an M4 type rifle and a link where to get one.  I have a few soft ones but know nothing about the nicer hard ones with foam insides.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd choose either the Pelican or Starlight hard cases.

www.cases4less.com
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#2]
www.casesbypelican.com has some that have pre-cut foam inside for an M-4 and 6 magazines.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the nylon condura assault rifle cases from Eagle.  They come in different colors and are nice because of all the pockets they have.  If you want a hard case, pelican is definitely the way to go...
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont mean to jack this thread, but I have a question regarding the foam cases. How do you get the foam to comform to the shape of your gun and accessories. I see these cases with the foam cut out or molded to the exact dimension of the weapon it holds. Just curious how this is accomplished.

Sorry again for the hi jack of the thread
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dont mean to jack this thread, but I have a question regarding the foam cases. How do you get the foam to comform to the shape of your gun and accessories. I see these cases with the foam cut out or molded to the exact dimension of the weapon it holds. Just curious how this is accomplished.

I was wondering that myself.  Still am, actually.  But that website I listed has cases that are pre-cut for several different types of guns.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.casesbypelican.com has some that have pre-cut foam inside for an M-4 and 6 magazines.

Damn those are pricey.  But nice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was wondering that myself.  Still am, actually.  But that website I listed has cases that are pre-cut for several different types of guns.

A utility knife and some time/patience. The foam is easy to cut, and it is divided into 'cubes' so the bulk of the removal is very easy, you just have to spend some time on the outline of the item...
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Starlight cases are badass. They are by far superior to pelican.... they are what the military uses to ship their weapons around the world.

STARLIGHT CASES

They also make custom foam and ABS inserts for specific weapons of different make and model for their cases.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Starlight cases are badass. They are by far superior to pelican.... they are what the military uses to ship their weapons around the world.

STARLIGHT CASES

They also make custom foam and ABS inserts for specific weapons of different make and model for their cases.

You hit your head. The military may use Starlight but it has nothing to do with them being better. Pelican has been in the case industry for many many years, their dive cases rock. Not to mention their buckle systems are light years ahead of Starlight. Don't get me wrong, Starlight makes a good product but no where as nice as Pelican.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You hit your head.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice video Falarak! LOL
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got a Starlight case (52") on Ebay for about $75 NEW.  If your patient, you can find them on there every once in a while.  You can probably find Pelican on there too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:54:03 AM EDT
[#13]
If the foam is one piece and not pick and pluck, outline the item you want to recess in the central piece of foam and then drop the foam into your chest freezer. After firming up, about 2 hours, the outline can be nicely cut with an electric carving knife. This has worked excellently for my camera gear.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:20:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I went to order a Pelican M-4 case yesterday from Pelican.  HOWEVER, they are still cutting the foam inserts for the old style CAR-15 stocks (not the M-4 stocks).  I verified this with customer service (took 10 minutes for them to check with design team).  I know it may be a little picky, and would probably still fit.  However, if I'm going to pay $220 for an M-4 Pelican case, the "exact spec" foam cut-outs should be accurate.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#15]
For hard cases i like to use Hardigg. I've used one of the smaller OD cases from the Storm Case line for my 9mm. The foam was easy to cut and the case is solid as a rock.

Hardigg also makes Military grade cases as well. Either of the 3 brands mentioned (Pelican - Starlight - Hardigg) in my opinion are great. Just a matter of price.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:32:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, the electric carving knife.  I've cut a lot of foam, but never had to put it in the freezer.  Pull out the foam, trace your rifle on the insert part and do so on the back.  Make your cut and re-install.

Starlite makes a much nicer and tougher case than Pelican.

Unless you need it for travel, the downside of hard cases is that they tend to be magnetically drawn to drywall.  The longer the hallway, the greater chance you will ding your wall.

I like soft cases.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Kalispel makes some beautiful and very sturdy cases if you prefer metal to plastic.  I fly extensively with my firearms, and these cases are fantastic.  As for cutting foam: An excellent way to cut foam is to strip the insulation off of about three inches of solid strand low gauge copper wire, and wrap an inch of it around a soldering iron.  It will cut foam like butter.  It will also produce a heinous smell that fouls up your apartment for two weeks, so do it outdoors.

www.johnnyego.com
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top