Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/17/2004 6:45:41 AM EST
I am thinking of putting a Bushie superlight barrel on my RRA mid-length upper. I know I have to change the handgaurds and all. Do I just need to buy the barrel assembly and a bolt to do this? Will my old carrier work? Can any new bolt be used with any new barrel and the problems only come into play when mixing used and new items?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:41:05 AM EST
Yes, you can use your existing carrier; and you can probably use your existing bolt as well. Assuming the bolt is from a reputable manufacturer, and you haven't fired tens of thousands of rounds with it, you have a 99.99% chance that the old unit will headspace just fine.

A few years back I bought a bunch of GI surplus used bolt assemblies. These were all Viet Nam era pieces. In fact, one of them was so old it still had the original white insert in the extractor spring, and they haven't used the white since about 1967.

Head spaced each of the five bolts in three different ARs. Four of the five would not close on the NO GO guage of any of the ARs, and the fifth one, while it did close on the NO GO on all three, would not close on the FIELD guage.

People just don't understand how tough and long wearing the AR bolt assy is
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:45:27 AM EST
How is the upper midlength? Are you replacing the barrel or building fresh.

you could have the existing barrel turned down to superlight.
Top Top