Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2005 6:17:51 PM EDT
OK, new rifle and new to ARs. Did a search and didn't find it so here's my question.
How hard do I need to try to remove the carbon buildup from the back of the bolt? I wiped it down with CLP, let it sit a while and of course there was still carbon baked on it. I didn't want to grab a wire brush until I asked the gurus. As long as we're on the subject, what about the carbon in the bolt carrier tube. Other than a little CLP and the occasional brushing how far should I go?
Thanks in advance.

Longhunter1757
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:21:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The carbon buildup on the rear of the bolt won't affect functioning. I clean the deposits off on my duty gun each time I shoot it but I have several uppers I strictly use for a regular machinegun shoot. I clean the bolt every third or fourth range session by soaking it in Carbon Cutter solution for 30 min, then using a wire brush and dental scraper to get the thicker deposits off.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Full Auto! I didn't think a little buildup was a big deal but I wanted to be sure.

Longhunter1757
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top