Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/9/2005 7:03:13 AM EDT
My first topic so don't go to hard on me.

Can I take any upper and attach it to a Carbon 15 lower? I assume yes, but I am looking to see if anyone else has done it yet, and what results you had. Would like to get a 6.8 upper, and swap uppers around with the lower.

Thanks for your responses.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:10:39 AM EDT
You can do it with the carbon m4 lower (with a regular stock).

This is what I plan on doing when my LW upper comes. I have swapped it with my other uppers and they fit great, but haven't shot it yet like that.

I have no experience with 6.8 and a carbon lower.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:27:42 AM EDT
I did much the same as Ridge. There have been no problems with it. It's a nice, snug fit. I guess you could say I own a Carbon 7.5.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:56:21 AM EDT
Great idea!

Guys who have already done it, can we get some pics please? PLEASE? PLEASE?

You know I won't stop, right?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:04:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CitySlicker:
Great idea!

If someone would send me my upper, I'd post a ton of pics .

I suppose I could take some with some of my other uppers on it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:12:06 AM EDT
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the responses. Looks like a green light for me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:48:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:18:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 11:19:00 AM EDT by CitySlicker]

Originally Posted By Troy:
The original Carbon 15 lowers did not have a standard buffer tube/receiver extension, and required the use of a chopped bolt carrier.

-Troy

I assume from your diction that this issue has been addressed and resolved. Would I be correct in assuming so?

Justin

ETA: Why is it that Carbon AR-15's cannot be equipped with a dust cover, forward assist, and brass deflector?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:19:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ridge:

Great idea!

If someone would send me my upper, I'd post a ton of pics .

I suppose I could take some with some of my other uppers on it.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:12:19 PM EDT
I took this one when I was on mid-tour.

BM Carbon 15 M4 lower
CMMG flat top upper
BM 14.5" bbl w/izzy muzzle brake
KAC VFG/GG&G UFIR

This photo is somewhat out of date, the wife replaced the 14.5 w/a 16" 1/7 with A2 compensator.

Mike

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:15:32 PM EDT
RED X for me
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:27:33 PM EDT
Red X for me too. Okay, 2d attempt.

Forgot to mention: YHM rear BUIS and EOthingy.

The pic is a llittle out of date. The wife replaced the 14.5 w/a 16" 1/7 with YHM 4-rail system.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:28:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 12:28:59 PM EDT by Ridge]
never mind you got it
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:31:11 PM EDT
Ridge,

What can I say? I'm an 11B - strong back, weak mind.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:38:32 PM EDT

The original Carbon 15 lowers did not have a standard buffer tube/receiver extension, and required the use of a chopped bolt carrier.

-Troy

I assume from your diction that this issue has been addressed and resolved. Would I be correct in assuming so?

Justin

ETA: Why is it that Carbon AR-15's cannot be equipped with a dust cover, forward assist, and brass deflector?

Actually you can swap bolt carriers or just use a standard sring and carrier. The carbon lowers do not have the retainer pin for the buffer and spring though. I know JonnyEgo uses a standard bolt carrier in hus and I use my original carrier with a spacer with my add on tele stock. As for why no dust cover ect. They just were not added on. But my carbon does have a brass deflector.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:41:03 PM EDT
Well, you got it in the end, that's what counts!

It looks great!

BTW, just an FYI, the weight of a Carbon M4 lower with a 4-pos CAR stock is about exactly the same as an CAV arms lower.

I'll post pics and give numbers when I get home.

Originally Posted By abnsfc:
Ridge,

What can I say? I'm an 11B - strong back, weak mind.

Mike

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:46:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rocky9_5:

-Troy

Justin

Actually you can swap bolt carriers or just use a standard sring and carrier. The carbon lowers do not have the retainer pin for the buffer and spring though. I know JonnyEgo uses a standard bolt carrier in hus and I use my original carrier with a spacer with my add on tele stock. As for why no dust cover ect. They just were not added on. But my carbon does have a brass deflector.

Bushy Carbon?

And what kind of buffer can you use with a carbon lower?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:56:50 PM EDT

-Troy

Justin

Bushy Carbon?

Bushy makes two types of carbon lowers. The original Carbon lower and the Carbon M4 lower.

The Carbon M4 lower is exactly like an aluminum lower only it is made from the Carbon material. Any stock/buffer can be used with this lower.

The original carbon lower used with the 97 type rifles and pistols does not have a buffer retainer pin and spring hole, because the 97 type rifles use a shorter bolt carrier and proprietary stock. You can put a regular stock on them, but you either have to get a standard length bolt carrier or use a spacer in the stock to make up for the original short carrier.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:46:38 PM EDT

-Troy

Justin

Bushy Carbon?

Bushy makes two types of carbon lowers. The original Carbon lower and the Carbon M4 lower.

The Carbon M4 lower is exactly like an aluminum lower only it is made from the Carbon material. Any stock/buffer can be used with this lower.

The original carbon lower used with the 97 type rifles and pistols does not have a buffer retainer pin and spring hole, because the 97 type rifles use a shorter bolt carrier and proprietary stock. You can put a regular stock on them, but you either have to get a standard length bolt carrier or use a spacer in the stock to make up for the original short carrier.

Ridge,

Thanks for clearing that up.

Justin
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:40:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 6:41:24 PM EDT by Ridge]
Here are some pics of a couple uppers with the Carbon lower.

An aluminum lower with 4 pos CAR stock is 2 lb 1 oz, on my scale.

A Carbon m4 lower with 4 pos Car stock is 1 lb 11 oz.

The Cav Arms MKII lower is 1 lb 11 oz.

For a difference of 6 oz. That's substantial, that would be the extra weight of a RAS and then some.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:58:36 PM EDT

For a difference of 6 oz. That's substantial, that would be the extra weight of a RAS and then some.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/vanloch/S4200067.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/vanloch/S4200070.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/vanloch/S4200071.jpg

Can you change grips?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:03:23 PM EDT

Can you change grips?

Yep, JohnnyEgo has a Magpull on his, is looks way cool.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:09:32 PM EDT

Can you change grips?

Yep, JohnnyEgo has a Magpull on his, is looks way cool.

I gotta ask, are there any features of the aluminum lower that you regret not having with the carbon lower? Or does the carbon lower mimic the aluminum lower in every respect?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:05:41 PM EDT
Great question.

The only Feature that is not present on the carbon lower is the fold-down trigger guard.

this could be a disadvantage.

Although I have never used the feature, I don't miss it, but some who use it would.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:19:19 AM EDT

Great question.

The only Feature that is not present on the carbon lower is the fold-down trigger guard.

Although I have never used the feature, I don't miss it, but some who use it would.

So if bushmaster were to mold the trigger guard in the shape of the Magpul enhanced trigger guard, you'd have no gripes?

I hope Bushmaster us reading this.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:18:44 AM EDT

Great question.

So if bushmaster were to mold the trigger guard in the shape of the Magpul enhanced trigger guard, you'd have no gripes?

I hope Bushmaster us reading this.

Exactly!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:01:18 AM EDT
My only complaint about the carbon lower, molded trigger guard aside, is the plastic selector lever. It works fine and has given me no problems, but it just feels flimsy in comparison to standard selector levers.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:38:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:00:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 1:00:20 PM EDT by Ridge]
I haven't had an issue the the selector whatever it's made out of, yet.

I do have to say I'm not too keen on the plastic takedown pins, but when/if these break, I'll just put in some steel ones.

Someone photoshop a Carbon lower with at magpull triggerguard, I bet it would be sweet!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:03:57 PM EDT
That's my intent with them as well.
Top Top