Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/12/2005 3:28:33 PM EDT
Any suggestions for a bursting bushy carbon 15 22lr on a virtually new busy lower? Everything in the upper is clean and lubed. No hanging firing pin. I get an inconsistent burst of 3-4 rounds, then semi. Trigger group in lower is stock from the bushy factory.

Any help would be appreciated.

AR newby.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:13:57 AM EDT
contact bushmaster with your problem.

there is obviously something wrong with your sear, trigger group.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:07:12 AM EDT
Try new ammo. Sometimes underpowered .22 ammo will not get the hammer to catch in the disconnector. If not, then call Bushmaster like mentioned above.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:30:24 PM EDT
Are you trying to run Stingers through it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:40:07 PM EDT
Dirty firing pin ?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:16:22 PM EDT
Was told by Bushmaster to try new ammo as well. Tried Remington subsonic, ran fine. Shot Winchester target, ran fine. Shot Remington Thunderbolt and it burst, then blew the magazine apart. Bushmaster requested I send the upper and lower back to them.

We'll see.

Still waiting.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:26:43 PM EDT
Crappy Rem TBolts, there's your problem. Never shoot that junk.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:03:00 AM EDT
I've seen a few reports on here about kits doubling. Always seemed to go away with an ammo change and the consensus was that it was cycling just short of catching the sear and the hammer was following.

The "blew the magazine apart" was probably an out-of-battery firing, which I've seen reports of as well, but forget whether it was BM or DPMS that was doing it.

First step is to switch ammo. Thunderduds are the worst ammo I've ever shot. We had a case a while back that was about equal parts live ammo, duds, and squibs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:00:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FishCop:
Was told by Bushmaster to try new ammo as well. Tried Remington subsonic, ran fine. Shot Winchester target, ran fine. Shot Remington Thunderbolt and it burst, then blew the magazine apart. Bushmaster requested I send the upper and lower back to them.

We'll see.

Still waiting.

Same thing happened to me with Stingers, I tried 1 first and it worked, so loaded up a mag and it blew the mag and sent a bunch of burnt powder and crap into my face (wearing glasses of course).
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:29:50 PM EDT
That aint right. Why would a 10/22 cycle anything you throw at it? And Bushy say there is something wrong with the rifle? Should be a simple spring tension calibration.

Still waiting on Bushy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:42:43 PM EDT
What about stingers or other hypervelo .22 ammo? What are the problems with those?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:46:29 PM EDT
10/22s have generous chambers, which is why they're pretty reliable but only so-so in accuracy (factory barrels).

The DPMS .22s have much tighter chambers (and are much more accurate). Sometimes a round doesn't chamber fully but can still be set off. The case blows out and often wrecks the magazine. Stingers and other long-case rounds seem to have the worst problem with this.

I had it happen with my DPMS once (not with a stinger) and I've taken note of four or five other occurrances of this posted on this very board by others. Mine was caused by one oversized lot of Fed Bulk ammo. Haven't had another problem with it in several thousand rounds of shooting.

I gather that at least some of the Bushies have tight chambers as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:08:36 PM EDT
Just got the rifle back from BM. They replaced the extractor, firing pin and firing pin spring. Cycled 50 rounds trough it and reported it OK.

Winchester wildcats are still bursting 3 rounds. Is it simply that some rounds are under powered and dont recock the trigger group? I have a SH!TLOAD of this ammo, so is there any way to run a lighter (clipped) recoil spring to get this ammo to cycle?

Thanks for the advice.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:15:31 PM EDT
I wouldn't clip the recoil spring. Another option would be to reduce the tension of the hammer spring. That is what I had done to increase reliability of my Ciener conversion with subsonic.

Dan
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:17:15 PM EDT
I have a 22 upper built by Compass Lake Eng, utilizing a modified M261 kit, and I was having the same occasional three round burst problem. I purchased a JP Enterprise reduced power spring set from Brownells and the three round burst problem went away. The reduced power spring set also improved the trigger pull. Hope this helps.

8416W
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:29:14 PM EDT
I had burst problems with High Vel ammo in my rifle related to a weak disconnector spring. The Hi-vel stuff was cycling the bolt so fast the the bad spring couldn't keep up. check you spring and the fit to the trigger.

Good luck.
Top Top