Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2006 2:24:57 PM EDT
I've heard two different torque values for the castle nut on the carbine collapsible stock one is 40 INCH pounds +or- 2 INCH pounds and the other is 38-42 FOOT pounds. I have also heard through an E-mail from STAG ARMS to go hand tight on the castle nut and a 1/4 turn.  

What's the right torque?  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
i just tighten to yield and then about a 1/4 turn

tacked in the build it yourself forum.
Headspace, Torque values, and Barrel Break-in  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i just tighten to yield and then about a 1/4 turn

tacked in the build it yourself forum.
Headspace, Torque values, and Barrel Break-in  

That link is where I got the 40 INCH pounds +or- 2 INCH pounds value.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Too tight is too tight for any fastener, damage can be done if you go too uch. The castle nut is about THE least important regarding torque, sort of funny to even apply that thinking to it.  Just make it tight enough not to loosen and you'll be fine. You can even back off the torque and add loctite for good measure.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#4]
BTT.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#6]
You should stake the castle nut. If you remove it regularly then just keep checking it every time you go shooting.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You should stake the castle nut. If you remove it regularly then just keep checking it every time you go shooting.

I know that it should be staked. I just want to find out what the correct torque for the castle nut is.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#8]
the torque value on the castle nut is not as critical as other parts, hell the bbl. nut doesnt even have a sepecific torque value just inbetween

stressing about it too much.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#9]
There's a huge difference between 40 INCH pounds and 40 FOOT pounds.

Since my armorer's manual says "Foot" and the tacked link that 556Cliff is referring to says "Inch", one is definitely a misprint. Even though I don't go to the trouble of torquing mine (I just crank it down with my wrench), it would be nice to know the true spec.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
copied from tacked thread:
Torque Values:
Compensator (Flash Suppressor) - 15 to 20 Ft. Lbs.

Barrel Nut - 31 Ft. lbs. Minimum, not to exceed 80 Ft. Lbs. to align the next slot in the barrel nut.

Carrier Key Screws - 35 INCH pounds to 40 INCH pounds.

Lower Receiver Extension (Buffer Tube)
Rifle - 35 to 39 Ft. Lbs.
Carbine - Tighten the locking nut to 40 INCH pounds plus or minus 2 INCH pounds.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
copied from tacked thread:
Torque Values:
Compensator (Flash Suppressor) - 15 to 20 Ft. Lbs.

Barrel Nut - 31 Ft. lbs. Minimum, not to exceed 80 Ft. Lbs. to align the next slot in the barrel nut.

Carrier Key Screws - 35 INCH pounds to 40 INCH pounds.

Carbine - Tighten the locking nut to 40 INCH pounds plus or minus 2 INCH pounds.

That's the tacked thread we are talking about. I think it may be a misprint.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
40 ft lbs is pretty instense man... I'd think it's the inch pounds.

I personally just tighten it as hard as I can by hand with one hand on the wrench and the other on the pistol grip
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
it would be nice to know the true spec.

+1
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Got one question... How in the hell do you use a torque wrench with this?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
40 ft lbs is pretty instense man... I'd think it's the inch pounds.

Heck, the two screws that hold a Remington 700 P's stock to the action are torqued to 65 inch pounds.  I couldn't see a castle nut being torqued less than that. Who knows? Maybe the misprint is in my armorer's manual and 40 INCH pounds is correct.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
www.eaglefirearms.net/images/RRA/RRA_M4_stock_wrench.JPG

You can't use a torque wrench with that but Brownells has a stock wrench that does have a slot for a torque wrench.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.eaglefirearms.net/images/RRA/RRA_M4_stock_wrench.JPG

You can't use a torque wrench with that but Brownells has a stock wrench that does have a slot for a torque wrench.

That's sort of the point I was trying to get across... I really don't think it is that important to actually torque the castle nut to spec... Its more of a loose is loose thing and to tight isn't possible unless your Hercules or a nutcase with a leverage bar...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#18]
a buffer tube and castle nut would make sense requiring different torque values.

the carbine buffer tube is all that holds itself in with the castle nut its just a lock nut.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#19]

You can't and don't need to.

One drop of blue or purple (service removable) Locktite on the threads will do as well as staking, and can still be removed if needed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You can't and don't need to.

One drop of blue or purple (service removable) Locktite on the threads will do as well as staking, and can still be removed if needed.

I agree... Read my above post...

ETA: I use Red loctite on just about everything (I know how to easily remove it if needed), NOT recommended for everyone...

I had a locking plate crack once while staking it so I switched to loctite...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok... for the sake of "SPEC" I'm going to bump this. Just incase anyone knows the correct torque spec and can give us an answer.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Rifle buffer tube is 35 - 39 Ft. Lbs.

Carbine Castle Nut is 40 INCH pounds plus or minus 2 INCH pounds.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yep, it's that one or the other one.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, it's that one or the other one.

What other one?

Carbines are 40 in. lbs. +/- 2 in. lbs.  

In other words, 38 in. lbs minumum and 42 in. lbs. maximum...

ETA: Never mind, I see what you mean...

Quoted:
I've heard two different torque values for the castle nut on the carbine collapsible stock one is 40 INCH pounds +or- 2 INCH pounds and the other is 38-42 FOOT pounds. I have also heard through an E-mail from STAG ARMS to go hand tight on the castle nut and a 1/4 turn.  

What's the right torque?  

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What's the right torque?  

38-42 ft. lbs. is close to what you would torque a rifles buffer tube to... 38-42 ft. lbs. is way to much torque for a carbine castle nut... The rifle buffer tube needs a higher torque spec to assure a good tight fit that wont ever loosen up...

The carbine uses a locking nut and then stakes it to prevent the buffer tube/stock from ever becoming loose and doesn't need a lot of torque to maintain stability...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the right torque?  

38-42 ft. lbs. is close to what you would torque a rifles buffer tube to... 38-42 ft. lbs. is way to much torque for a carbine castle nut... The rifle buffer tube needs a higher torque spec to assure a good tight fit that wont ever loosen up...

The carbine uses a locking nut and then stakes it to prevent the buffer tube/stock from ever becoming loose and doesn't need a lot of torque to maintain stability...

When you say it that way it sounds like the 38-42 Ft. Lbs. torque value could be a misprint.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the right torque?  

When you say it that way it sounds like the 38-42 Ft. Lbs. torque value could be a misprint.

Thank you.

Sorry for not being more clear about it...

What I was trying to say is, you posted that you heard it could be 38-42 ft.lbs. for a carbine castle nut and that is the wrong torque for a carbine castle nut... 38-42 ft. lbs. is closer to the value of the torque needed for a rifles buffer tube which is actually 35-39 ft. lbs....

The carbine castle nut only needs 38-42 in. lbs. or 40 in. lbs. +/- 2 in. lbs.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top