Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2007 1:43:21 PM EST
Well, I've wanted an AR15 forever, and I think I might take the plunge this summer. I've been reading up and I've pretty much decided that I want a 16" barrel with a collapsible stock. I've seen people recommend either midlength or carbine length handguards.

This will be my only AR, at least for a while, so I want to do it the right way. It seems most people favor midlength, but I haven't really seen the advantages/disadvantages of each. The gun wll be used for target shooting and probably killing off some coyote at some point from our deer land. Should I go carbine or midlength? Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:50:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 1:51:08 PM EST by DK-Prof]
I have both, and I prefer the midlength.

There's really not going to be a big difference in terms of how they handle or perform. If there are advantages, they tend to go slightly to the midlength, but not in any big way. Here are a few issues that people tend to mention.

1) The midlength gas system, being longer, spikes at a slightly lower pressure (assuming I understand all the arcane details of the AR system), which might put slightly lower wear on your gas port, and could possible reduce the felt recoil just a little.

2) The midlength has a slightly longer sight radius, which might make it slightly easier to shoot accurately using your iron sights.

3) The 16" midlength system allows you to properly mount a bayonet, should you ever feel the need for that at any point in your life.

4) Many people feel that the 16" midlength LOOKS "better" and more balanced than the 16" carbine.

If I had to choose, I'd chose the 16" midlength over the 16" carbine every time. But they really are very comparable, and all the "advantages" to the midlength are relatively slight.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:58:28 PM EST
I prefer the 16" mid-length over the 16" carbine and the 20" standard.

For me, it's the best combination of accuracy, ergonomics, balance, and portability.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:53:35 AM EST
I have a RRA middie and I love it to death. My entire time in the Corps was spent with an A2 which is entirely too long in my opinion. The carbine length gives you less mounting space if you want to mount accessories on forearm rails. As said earlier, the sight radius is longer than the shorty which would be better if you use your iron sights. I'm no expert but I have heard the gas system on a midlength is better than on a carbine, more reliable. Plus, it's just a good compromise between too short and too long. A midlength with a collapsible stock is a pretty small package, unless you're looking to use it for PSD or other concealment requirements exist.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:01:13 AM EST
By the way, don't wait to long, you may not be able to buy one this summer if the anti-gunners in congress have their way. If you really want one, do your research, spend the money to buy what you really want, and make the plunge. You won't regret it. Stock up on hicap mags too before they become ridiculously priced if the new ban takes effect. In my experience I've replaced a lot of things on my AR to get it the way I want it. Look here to see what experienced users reccomend and go with what fits for you. Or else you'll be playing the parts swap game, and spending more money than necessary. just my .02
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:10:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
I have both, and I prefer the midlength.

There's really not going to be a big difference in terms of how they handle or perform. If there are advantages, they tend to go slightly to the midlength, but not in any big way. Here are a few issues that people tend to mention.

1) The midlength gas system, being longer, spikes at a slightly lower pressure (assuming I understand all the arcane details of the AR system), which might put slightly lower wear on your gas port, and could possible reduce the felt recoil just a little.

2) The midlength has a slightly longer sight radius, which might make it slightly easier to shoot accurately using your iron sights.

3) The 16" midlength system allows you to properly mount a bayonet, should you ever feel the need for that at any point in your life.

4) Many people feel that the 16" midlength LOOKS "better" and more balanced than the 16" carbine.

If I had to choose, I'd chose the 16" midlength over the 16" carbine every time. But they really are very comparable, and all the "advantages" to the midlength are relatively slight.

+1
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:18:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/24/2007 10:18:50 AM EST by va_gunz]
midlength
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:21:14 AM EST
What the hell was that? "Eat my shit, you peter puffer" nice edit.

Got an issue?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:25:56 AM EST
I'm talking to you, va_gunz

If you have problem with something, please let us know
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:45:02 AM EST
just bought a carbine, next one will be a middie. I love my carbine, but the next one will be for the GF and I think she'll like a smoother shooting middie.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:56:02 AM EST
This was a hard decision for me so in typical arfcom style I ended up with both!. Bushy Carbine and a RRA Midlength. Just finished tricking the Bushy, now onto the RRA
Top Top