Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/18/2006 11:36:31 PM EDT
Quick question, just wanting to clear it up.

I have a carbine, first AR type anything its a 14'' with 5.5 sleeved and the rifle is snappy, remindes me of a .40 handgun. Would a midlength make it significantly smoother or is it only a slight thing?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:41:20 PM EDT
The cheapest way to smooth it out some would be to stick a heavier buffer in it, assuming you have a collapsible stock.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:55:26 PM EDT
I have a 9mm buffer in one of my carbine, and it is still nowhere near as smooth as my midlength.

It is one smooth shooter. Highly reccomend it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:14:47 AM EDT
Thats funny, I have a RRA Mid. and a LMT M4 that are the same.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:44:58 AM EDT
the difference is slight but i will say that the mgi buffer makes a world of difference in the carbine and the midlength.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:53:50 AM EDT
Thanks for asking this. Good question with interestiing answers.

: ( now I want a Middy
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:06:47 AM EDT
Heavy buffers and fancy doo-dads are band-aid fixes that treat the symptom, not the problem... the "carbine" is grossly overgassed and out of time and the middy is the best answer to make a shorter rifle run like a top.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:44:15 AM EDT
??
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:43:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheMocoMan:
Thanks for asking this. Good question with interestiing answers.

: ( now I want a Middy

me tooo.....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:16:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gunzilla:
Heavy buffers and fancy doo-dads are band-aid fixes that treat the symptom, not the problem... the "carbine" is grossly overgassed and out of time and the middygas piston conversion is the best answer to make a shorter rifle run like a top.

there ya go. fixed that for you
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:22:56 AM EDT
The middy I can't afford.

The custom upper standard package consists of:
Sabre Defence flat top upper w/ T-numbers, M4 extensions and CL 1/7 barrel w/ A2 FH.
F marked FSB and ARMS #40A sights.
Samson MRFS M rail system installed
BCG and CH included

That barrel is Mil-B-1159 too.

The Samson rail is tits becuase the top rail runs the whole length unlike DD rails. It's very LMT MRP ish. Now I need to cry a little.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:49:20 AM EDT
I always assumed a carbine was a 16" but for the sake of this thread, a carbine is 14-14.5" and a middy is 16ish? And of course 20"+ is rifle, if it comes up. Is this all correct?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:09:40 AM EDT
You can make a carbine feel like it isn't even shooting. Slap a 14.5 HBAR on with a Enidine or MGI buffer and a M16 bolt carrier and it'll weigh enough that muzzle flip is almost eliminated entirely. Of course then you have to CARRY that rifle. I did a side by side with my M4 and my friends carbine last weekend, the difference was huge. I liked both rifles though, mine for stability, his for extreme light weight.

He had a C7 upper with a crappy plastic 4 pos stock. A 11.5 lightweight barrel, a long, pinned FH and plastic handguards. My weapon has a M93, Enidine buffer, M4A1 barrel, a 7.0 LaRue and a 552 EO Tech.

As others have said though, these are band aid and improvised fixes. If I was to change anything i'd rather have a 16" mid-length in stainless.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:10:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By memyselfandi:
Quick question, just wanting to clear it up.

I have a carbine, first AR type anything its a 14'' with 5.5 sleeved and the rifle is snappy, remindes me of a .40 handgun. Would a midlength make it significantly smoother or is it only a slight thing?

The difference is only slight, I have both a LMT 16" Defender 2000 M4gery and a Colt 6721 tactical carbine model with an upgraded Denny's Operator mid length Rockcreek (Mike Rock) barrel.

Go with your BRD, go with the middy.

Originally Posted By Woody600:
I always assumed a carbine was a 16" but for the sake of this thread, a carbine is 14-14.5" and a middy is 16ish? And of course 20"+ is rifle, if it comes up. Is this all correct?

The real M4 are 14.5" but there are M4gerys that are 16".

Middys are usually 16" but there are 18" middy SPR barrels also.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:50:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:37:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TalonArms_M:

Originally Posted By TheMocoMan:
The middy I can't afford.

www.talonarms.com/talonarms/images/large/products/sdimltar_LRG.jpg
The custom upper standard package consists of:
Sabre Defence flat top upper w/ T-numbers, M4 extensions and CL 1/7 barrel w/ A2 FH.
F marked FSB and ARMS #40A sights.
Samson MRFS M rail system installed
BCG and CH included

That barrel is Mil-B-1159 too.

The Samson rail is tits becuase the top rail runs the whole length unlike DD rails. It's very LMT MRP ish. Now I need to cry a little.

How about layaway?

you have a layaway plan

think im really gonna be broke now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:47:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 1:48:52 PM EDT by Bartholomew_Roberts]

Originally Posted By Woody600:

Carbine and midlength refer to the length of the gas system, not the length of the barrel. You can have a 14.5" or 16" barrel with a carbine length gas system or a 14.5"/16" barrel with a midlength gas system. A rifle has a different gas system and is the optimum length since that length is what the whole system was designed around from the beginning.

A midlength gas system moves the gas port forward 2". This solves a number of issues with the carbine length gas system, increases the sight radius and makes the handguard 2" longer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:58:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BSheppard:
Thats funny, I have a RRA Mid. and a LMT M4 that are the same.

Shoot the two one after the other. I went shooting a couple weeks ago with someone who had never handled an AR15 before. He shot a 16" M4 first, and then the midlength after that. When he handed it back to me he asked, "Why does that gun feel so different? It's like it doesn't have as much kick-back."
Even though the midlength is lighter, almost by a full pound, a brand new guy noticed the difference.
Top Top