Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/25/2005 8:19:36 AM EDT
I have always used Gunk Out to spray down every part of every gun I clean. Is carb cleaner the same thing I'm paying $6 a can for? Is it safe to use on all gun parts? and does it work as well?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:15:30 AM EDT
[#1]
non-chlorinated brake clreaner works the same and safe on everything
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

And even better with an air compressor!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Preferred BRAND ????

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish I could remember the brand name but there's a cheap one at the local autostore (Schucks), non-chlorinated.  I buy it by the case.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

'splain please.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Where is the cheapest place to buy non-chlorinated brake cleaner?

$10 cans of synthetic gun scrubber is BS
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:58:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I think at the automotive store I mentioned they were something like $1.99 a bottle, perhaps less.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:45:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I found this, MOTORVATOR Carb and Choke Cleaner spray, 1.49 for 12 oz. Pretty good and smells OK @ K-Mart.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quick question:

I was thinking of trying some brake cleaner on various parts.  But I had a question.  I noticed many of you mentioned getting "non-chlorinated" formula's... Why??

The reason I ask, is I went to Wally world the other day and look at a can of (I believe??) Gun Scrubber??  Anyway, it was a dedicated gun cleaner.  Clearly on the back it said "Chlorinated formula".  Then there was another can of the same stuff that was "synthetic safe" and it said on the back "Petroleum formula" (or something like that)

What's the info on all this?  What's the difference and why?  Is there any parts that brake cleaner ISN"T safe on??

Thanks,
Gundraw
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Good question Gundraw.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I may be mistaken, but I think the rub against chlorinated (or maybe it's just against tri-chlorinated) solvents is that they are bad for you medically and also they might promote corrosion if use of other non-compatible solvents (e.g., ammonia-based copper busters) follows.  I suppose you could follow up with an alocohol patch but why go through the trouble.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Chlorinated brake cleaner WILL attack MOST plastics.  Put some on cheap plastic (it loves Styrofoam) and watch it melt away.  Having said that, I have used it on Glocks and XD's with no problems.  I have personally seen it melt cheap plastic gun grips on more than one occasion.

I prefer it overall to the non-chlor, seems to work better on all metal parts.  The stuff is nasty though and I highly recommend to use it (or any strong solvent) outdoors.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I use Honda throttle plate and induction cleaner to dissolve the soot and carbon. It doesn't dry out like brake clean. If I want it completely dryed out I hit it with Honda brake clean.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Isn't carberator cleaner less harmful on plastic?  It cleans metal almost as well as brake cleaner.  It's probably the same stuff just less aggressive..
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Isn't carberator cleaner less harmful on plastic?  It cleans metal almost as well as brake cleaner.  It's probably the same stuff just less aggressive..

Hmm, that would be nice to know for sure, I always have some of that around.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
What parts should I clean with brake cleaner?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I would also like to know this. :)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I spray everywhere that there is fouling/dirt/gunk/etc.

I literally use the can of brake cleaner as a hose, just hose off any dirty part, blast the crap away.

I was amazed the first time I used it, it got everything so clean without any work.  I never saw my bolt even close to that clean, and I used to work hard with CLP and solvent trying.  

Just make sure to oil well afterwards, anywhere that the brake cleaner touched needs oil or else it will rust since the brake cleaner totally removes all oil and leaves it very dry.  After using brake cleaner my rifle literally soaks the CLP in, if I give it a normal coating the next day it is cry.  Knowing this I usually wet it down real good right after cleaning it, then a day or two later I'll wipe off any excess CLP.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

'splain please.

Use the brake cleaner to loosen up stuff.  Some stuff can still be trapped in the liquid in tight places, so the compressor is used to blow it out and dry it off, also limiting contact with plastic parts.

Most carb cleaner I have used recently, leaves a slimy residue.  I only use brake cleaner, even on carburators for that reason.  Pep Boys, Kragen, Auto Zone, Wal-Mart, Napa, and many others carry cheap brake cleaner, with Pyroil being one of the cheapest ones I usually see.

....................gotta rebuild my Quadrajet again.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

And even better with an air compressor!hr

just make sure you have a air/water separator hooked up to the AC.

otherwise, as you shoot air, there might be some water droplets too...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Chlorinated brake cleaner WILL attack MOST plastics.  Put some on cheap plastic (it loves Styrofoam) and watch it melt away.  Having said that, I have used it on Glocks and XD's with no problems.  I have personally seen it melt cheap plastic gun grips on more than one occasion.

I prefer it overall to the non-chlor, seems to work better on all metal parts.  The stuff is nasty though and I highly recommend to use it (or any strong solvent) outdoors.

Roger that on cheap plastic grips. I watched it disolve/discolor a pair of plastic grips from an old Star .22 automatic.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:20:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Brake cleaner isn't the safest component to get in contact with your hand, wooden furniture, plastics, and paint.

I am trying to find a product that will dissolve/help remove carbon deposits quickly but is safe to use. I've soaked my Glock barrel in Slip 2k Carbon Cutter for 24 hours and the carbon deposits literally drop to the bottom of the jar. My bore then looks as clean as it came from the dealer.

However, it's kind of hard to soak my rifle barrels in a jar of carbon cutter... and it's a PITA to scrub the bore repeatedly using Simple Green. I've tried Ed's Red, Brake Cleaner, Kerosene, penetrant oil, etc... and the hard stuff that is stuck to chrome lined components doesn't come off fast. The powder/black residue that is stuck to the inside of the bolt carrier comes off with CLP. But the hard stuff is like the substance stuck to the inside of the barrel extension (similar to the carbon buildup on AK piston tops).

I've learned to just leave the hard stuff on there but I'm not too thrilled about it collecting in the bore (if it does collect in the bore).
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#24]
met how long do u saok?

I let butchs bore shine soak a good 15 mins after I brush never takes more than 3 cycles to remove it all out.

I use dewy rod bore brushs and jags.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I've soaked my AK piston in solvent for about an hour without much effect.
The only thing that seems to really work (but requires some time) is soaking in Slip 2k carbon cutter/killer but I need to have a large enough container and enough of the carbon cutter.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#26]
pistons, I would just leave that small film on there.  If the piston  is anything like a M14 piston only item that removes the carbon will also change the OD over time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I would use the "air intake cleaner" b-12 chem-tool  ..I think it is berrymans I Would check but the garage is cold ... this is safe for plastics and it still removes all the gunk
I bought 1 can of the tetra "action blaster" like 12 bucks and a huge waste plus the tetra stuff ate rubber so  my hogue grips on my S&W sigma pistol started to melt
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top