Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/18/2005 5:07:49 PM EDT
Is this thing supposed to be this loose? I tried sighting in my gun today and it wouldn't stop shooting too far to the right.

Am I missing a pin?

Here's a 1.5meg clip of what I'm pretty damn sure is my problem.

I bought the carry handle on the EE
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:09:42 PM EDT
My Bushmaster carry handle does that. Pretty sure it's normal
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:12:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 5:15:55 PM EDT by PigGuy]
Well, shid... I had the thing almost all the way to the right and it was still hitting way off. I don't get it.

ETA: I can tell there's a hole in front of the rear sight aperture, on the sight base, but there's nothing in it. I figured it was supposed to be that way, always touching the carry handle on one side, but it seemed kind of stupid.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:15:49 PM EDT
Just grabbed my BM CH and wiggled it too. If you look at it from the rear it "stays" to the left but you can wiggle it to the right, but will default back to the left again when released.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:16:53 PM EDT
Well... if that's not it, assuming it's not my aim, why would it be so hard to adjust?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:22:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 5:23:33 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:27:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 5:27:42 PM EDT by PigGuy]
I don't know... I've never had something so stubborn to sight in. It just didn't do anything when I adjusted the windage. How far should it move with every "click"?

ETA: I know it depends on sight radius.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:33:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:36:25 PM EDT
Heh, of course it moves when I move the dial. I only look that dumb.

The saddest part was, I was maybe 20 yards from the thing and hitting 3-4" too far to the left. I kept saying right, but I was too far left, I couldn't get far enough right.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:41:15 PM EDT
Arg... to tell you the truth, now I think I was just being stupid. I think I need to go out again and try again. I must not have had the rear sight aperture far enough to the right. Maybe I can find somewhere around here to shoot tomorrow. Today, I was 4 hours away, in Ohio, shooting with my friends... I've yet to find a local range. Though, someone told me there's one less than a mile from my house. My mom said she heard shooting twice now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:51:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:58:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:08:36 PM EDT
I've got a carry handle that has WAY WAY more play than that, its horrible, the sight picture is an oval more than a circle

Yours seems well within specs though
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:25:47 PM EDT
It sounds like your barrel isn't indexed correctly. Easy fix, most any smith can fix this problem. My second Bushmaster had the same problem. They (Bushmaster) fixed it for free.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:42:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By David_Hineline:
Wait till dark, take off your upper, remove the bolt/carrier, take it outside and block it up on something to look through the bore, block the upper exactly so that when you look through the bore you see a light or other tiny point of reference of some type. Then without moving the upper look through the sights, adjust accordingly, if you can not make the sight view match the bore view then something is wrong with the rotational position of your front sight on the barrel.

I think you may have nailed it. I alligned the bore with the corner of a wall and even where I had the sight, it was way off, so now I have it adjusted almost all of the way to the right, and it seems to be alligned. I guess I was just expecting too much from the small adjustments.

It also didn't help that my friends wouldn't let me put up new targets very often... I could barely tell where I was hitting unless I put 20 rounds in one place. I'll have to find somewhere to shoot this week.

Originally Posted By moxnix228:
It sounds like your barrel isn't indexed correctly. Easy fix, most any smith can fix this problem. My second Bushmaster had the same problem. They (Bushmaster) fixed it for free.

Well, I have my barrel floated with my sight on the rifle-length rail. I torqued the hell out of it and it doesn't seem loose at all. But who knows, it might be. I seemed to have decent grouping for my barrel to be lose, so I highly doubt that's my problem.
Top Top