Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2005 8:14:16 AM EDT
Have a SP1 and trying to remove the front pin that hold the upper and lower.  It has a screw end on both sides.  I have put two screwdrivers on both ends and turned in opposite directions but with no luck.  What am I doing wrong?    Thanks for  your time!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you have the correct size screw drivers and are turning the screw in the right direction. They put a little thread locker on the screw. Mine was a little tough the first time I took it apart. Has it ever been apart before?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
j3,  no it has never been apart since I owned it.  If facing the screws it should go counterclockwise, correct?  Would a penetrating oil help, WD 40, Kroil, etc? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes it is a normal thread on the ones I have. I am not sure if pen oil would help or not. I have had three and all came loose with a couple of big screw drivers. I use two quarters out of my pocket now to take them apart when I clean the two I still have.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#4]
May need to heat transfer (heating up a old screw driver that is in the screw slot side of the pivot pin) to break the loctite bond.

Or,
Just get the correct size screw drivers that fill the slot voids, and back up the bottom screw driver in a vise to allow you to put the needed pressure on the top screw side to break the loctite bond (helps to have some hold the rifle on the vised screw driver).
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
i went thru the same thing with a bud's sp1.  ended up using an ait ratchet with screw driver attachments to get it free.  it was stuck.  the pin was also galling in the lower reveiver, that didnt help much either.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Dano,  how does one know what side the screw end is?    Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!,  Yes,  the screw came loose.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I tried the method Dano described. I locked one screwdriver in a vise and with both hands on the other screwdriver it came loose.  It looks like blue loctite.  Thanks again  for all the help. It's nice to know that there is somewhere to come  for help with good people!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top