Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/10/2007 7:19:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2007 9:57:23 AM EDT by jjj133]
Is it ok to put a low profile gas block with set screws on a barrel where it was already drilled for a front sight base?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:16:04 AM EDT
Somebody has to know something about this.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 3:44:50 AM EDT
I want to know as well. This was my plan but not sure if it can be done.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:43:15 AM EDT
Shouldn't be a problem. Depending on the arrangement of the set screws, you will probably need to have flats or dimples machined/drilled.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:56:21 AM EDT
Is it going to screw up accuracy of the barrel at all?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:14:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jjj133:

Unless you are one of those freakish monastic benchrest shooters scoring with microcalipers, no.
Check with ar15barrels.com or ADCO to have flats machined/drilled for a gas block.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:33:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By m24shooter:

Originally Posted By jjj133:

Unless you are one of those freakish monastic benchrest shooters scoring with microcalipers, no.
Check with ar15barrels.com or ADCO to have flats machined/drilled for a gas block.

Even if you are "one of those" , the set screw gas blocks are not a detriment to accuracy on a barrel that has been drilled for taper pins. Both of the barrels pictured below have set screw gas blocks and both barrels have produced MOA 10-shot groups.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:49:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Molon:
Even if you are "one of those" , the set screw gas blocks are not a detriment to accuracy on a barrel that has been drilled for taper pins. Both of the barrels pictured below have set screw gas blocks and both barrels have produced MOA 10-shot groups.

I was only offering that for those that would blame the screw holes and un-filled former pin holes for inharmonious barrel twitch. While almost nobody would notice that change, there are some who would blame the holes/flats for their inability to shoot 1" groups at 500M.
These are the guys who are formally trained Army SEAL ninja death squad members, which seem to frequent our boards from time to time.
I've got a low pro gas block with set screws (and the dimples) that has not had any effect on accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:59:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2007 11:11:17 AM EDT by Molon]

Originally Posted By m24shooter:

I was only offering that for those that would blame the screw holes and un-filled former pin holes for inharmonious barrel twitch. While almost nobody would notice that change, there are some who would blame the holes/flats for their inability to shoot 1" groups at 500M.
These are the guys who are formally trained Army SEAL ninja death squad members,
which seem to frequent our boards from time to time. I've got a low pro gas block with set screws (and the dimples) that has not had any effect on accuracy.

Actually, according to testing done by the US Army Marksmanship Unit, barrels drilled for the taper pins to secure the front sight base do show decreased accuracy. That is one of the reasons they went to using front sight bases secured with set screws. (It also allows them to adjust the front sight base for mechanical zero.)

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 11:12:41 AM EDT

Actually, according to testing done by the US Army Marksmanship Unit, barrels drilled for the taper pins to secure the front sight do show decreased accuracy. That is one of the reasons they went to using front sight bases secured with set screws. (It also allows them to adjust the front sight base for mechanical zero.)

Not surprised. I'm sure it screws up harmonics. Now the level to which it does so, and if it would make a difference to the average shooter is the real question. For most shooters, I would guess that it might not be noticeable, and for shooting minute of bad guy I don't know that it would matter.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 11:45:38 AM EDT
Molon - I don't mean to get off topic, but I really love that rifle in the top pic. Seen the picture before, and it has got to be one of my favorite AR15s. clean, simple, effective.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:14:35 PM EDT
Top Top