Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/25/2003 8:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/25/2003 8:31:52 PM EDT by MurdochsM4]
Is it legal to make armor piercing ammunition for your own personal use? I am thinking more for handgun calibers, there is a book called "vest busters" by uncle fester, detailing how to make AP ammunition. Has anyone read it? any good?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:38:42 PM EDT
Clarify. Make armor piercing bullets, or load pre-existing bullets into cartridges? It is legal to take pre-existing rifle AP, such as the .30 cal M2 AP, and load your own ammo with it. However, AFAIK, manufacturing new projectiles is a no-no. Armor piercing ammo for a handgun is an extra big No-No in most states.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:33:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NAM: Clarify. Make armor piercing bullets, or load pre-existing bullets into cartridges?
View Quote
I am interested in either making a bullet from scratch or modifying a bullet already in production. Do some experimenting. This may sound a bit stupid but I have to ask, I know a guy whom was saying that you can basically cut a fourth of an inch off the .223 tip and then hollow it our from there, like a hollow point and then you melt fishing line and fill up the hollow point with the nylon fishing line. I don't think he was saying these were AP, I believe they were more for trauma like an Hollow Point. Does anyone have any idea what a bullet like that would do or be used for? I barely know the guy, he may be nuts, Im just curious.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:22:51 AM EDT
That dude with the fishing line filled bullets needs to look in a modern reloading catalog for something called...Nosler Ballistic Tip. [:D] Ghost
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 11:05:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MurdochsM4: I am interested in either making a bullet from scratch or modifying a bullet already in production. Do some experimenting.
View Quote
No you cannot legally manufactur AP bullets. [url]http://www.atf.gov/firearms/legal/armor.htm[/url] "the term 'armor piercing ammunition' means -- (i) a projectile or projectile core.... (ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber ..... § 922(a) It shall be unlawful -- (7) for any person to manufacture or import armor piercing ammunition, except....."
I know a guy whom was saying that you can basically cut a fourth of an inch off the .223 tip and then hollow it our from there
View Quote
Do that to a typical FMJ bullet and you have just made a tube. The bases on FML bullets are open.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 11:29:45 AM EDT
I think you should probably find someone else to listen to. Cheers!
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:03:41 PM EDT
Thanks for the legal info, that definitely answers my question. I actually tried hollowing out the 7.62 x 39 bullets, you dont go all the way through, you make it just like a hollow point basically and then fill it up. I shot a few like that and I have no idea because of the target I was using what they did, All I know is my gun didn't blow up. Never tried it with .223 yet though, that might be bad. Seems kinda useless to do anyways if they sell bullets like that, better to go the safe route.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 9:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/27/2003 2:24:07 PM EDT by Troy]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:15:51 AM EDT
As mentioned above, by cutting off the tip OF AN OPEN BASED BULLET, you are making a tube with lead in the center. At 50,000 psi, occasionally the "tube" will not make it all the way out the barrel but the lead core will. The next shot will be trying to go through that "tube" obstruction and you will have a very dramatic pressure spike (Kaboom). Open tipped or plastic tipped bullets have a closed base such as Troy shows above which would not have this problem.
Top Top