Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/16/2005 3:41:20 PM EDT
Just got back from shooting my first 1:7 twist upper using XM855PD. While I was shooting there were a few times I heard something I had never heard before; I shoot BANG and then a sssshhhh. At first I thought I was hitting a rock, but there werent many rocks around where I was shooting. It almost sounded as if a person were to shoot a shotgun parallel to the ground through tall grass.
This only happened maybe 10-15 times out of about 300 rounds.

Any thoughts or am I going crazy?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:22:40 PM EDT
I don't see how a 62 grn. projectile could spinn apart from a 1/7, were other people shooting around you? An ajacent pistol range? Sounds like riccocet pistol rounds off the berm spinning and falling in your firing lane maybe.

I had one a few months back while walking back from down range, heard a buzzing sound like it was comming twards me and then a puff of dirt a few feet away. I was on the rifle lane closest to the pistol range.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:00:56 PM EDT
I dont see how a 62gr would come apart either, but you may be right as there were other people nearby shooting. Next time I go out I'll be sure to get to a secluded area and see what happens. The more I think about it the less I think it was a round spinning apart, because I could always see a definite dirt cloud where I had shot.
Thanks for the reply

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:48:50 PM EDT
Nope... I was running a "mutt" round... the kind left over from a range session and is of uncertain parantage.

The shot patterned.

I'm gonna guess it was a Hornady bullet in a Federal load.

It came apart... I had no clue until the shot hit.
Top Top