Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2005 3:41:20 PM EDT
Just got back from shooting my first 1:7 twist upper using XM855PD.  While I was shooting there were a few times I heard something I had never heard before; I shoot BANG and then a sssshhhh.  At first I thought I was hitting a rock, but  there werent many rocks around where I was shooting.  It almost sounded as if a person were to shoot a shotgun parallel to the ground through tall grass.
This only happened maybe 10-15 times out of about 300 rounds.

Any thoughts or am I going crazy?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see how a 62 grn. projectile could spinn apart from a 1/7, were other people shooting around you?  An ajacent pistol range?  Sounds like riccocet pistol rounds off the berm spinning and falling in your firing lane maybe.

I had one a few months back while walking back from down range, heard a buzzing sound like it was comming twards me and then a puff of dirt a few feet away.  I was on the rifle lane closest to the pistol range.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont see how a 62gr would come apart either, but you may be right as there were other people nearby shooting.  Next time I go out I'll be sure to get to a secluded area and see what happens.  The more I think about it the less I think it was a round spinning apart, because I could always see a definite dirt cloud where I had shot.
Thanks for the reply

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope... I was running a "mutt" round... the kind left over from a range session and is of uncertain parantage.

The shot patterned.

I'm gonna guess it was a Hornady bullet in a Federal load.

It came apart... I had no clue until the shot hit.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top