Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2003 7:43:30 AM EDT
Im curious can you put to much scope on an AR 15? I have notice most are 4x20 or 3x9 reccommended for AR's why not a 8x32x44 or 6x24x50. Wouldnt you benefit seeing the target closer at really long ranges? Can you have to powerful of a scope?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im curious can you put to much scope on an AR 15? I have notice most are 4x20 or 3x9 reccommended for AR's why not a 8x32x44 or 6x24x50. Wouldnt you benefit seeing the target closer at really long ranges? Can you have to powerful of a scope?
View Quote

Well, I had a situation this past weekend where a 6-24x50 would have been too much scope.  I was still hunting in timber when I turned my head to see a coyote to my left rear at about 15 yards.  At even 6x (on a 6-20x50 scope) fur is all I would have seen.  My Eotech was the perfect optic in that situation.  Alas, I can't blame the scope for not bagging him...  [:|]

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I have a red dot for short range shots that works perfectly im looking for long range shooting targets varmints and so on
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
It all depends what you want to use it for.  For all around use, 3-9 or so makes a lot of sense.  For varmints or bench shooting, the more the merrier.  Close, fast work, 1-5 or so, or 1x red dot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top