Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2006 2:22:35 PM EDT
I have a standard Bushmaster carbine (by standard I mean it doesn't have any fancy rails on it or anything). I want to have the capability of mounting a standard AA maglite to the handguards. They are not the M-4 type, just standard carbine handguards. I want something that is easy to attach/detach from the handguards themslves. Bushmaster sells something like I THINK i need, but I'm not sure. What would I need to attach the Maglite - seems like most of the stuff out there is geared toward Surefire type lights, and I think they are a little thicker in diameter.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I want to have the capability of mounting a standard AA maglite to the handguards.

No you don't

Mini mags are neither bright enough nor tough enough.  The bulb is only held in by friction and recoil will cause the bulb to change focus then go out.  Add in the fact the Maglite tape switch is junk then you have something that you cannot rely on.

Go spend the extra $30 for a Surefire G2 and it will serve you MUCH better.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I want to have the capability of mounting a standard AA maglite to the handguards.

No you don't

Mini mags are neither bright enough nor tough enough.  The bulb is only held in by friction and recoil will cause the bulb to change focus then go out.  Add in the fact the Maglite tape switch is junk then you have something that you cannot rely on.

+1 to that.  I was about to say the same, but he beat me to it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Can someone reccommend a good mount for a AA Maglite?

No.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No you don't

+2
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I went with this one on the cheap.  $99.99

I'm happy with it. Every thing you need included.

Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle
Illumination System

Thread on this light here

GM

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I went with this one on the cheap.  $99.99

I'm happy with it. Every thing you need included.

Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle
Illumination System

us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/opticsplanet_1885_39049252

Thread on this light here

GM

+1  .... played with one of these this week. Looks like a nice unit.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
"Can someone reccommend a good mount for a AA Maglite?" - Oxymoron.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Funny, but back when you could only get MagLight mounts for shotguns etc. (no such thing as a SureFire light then) I bought a barrel mount for a 12ga. 870 and a tape switch years later, though I don't know what brand. I have put at least 200-300+ rds of 2-3/4 #4 buck and high brass #5 shot down the 20'' barrel with no problems with the maglight set up. The only thing I changed, was to put in a LED blub in place of the old style blub, taped the lens bell to the focus point I wanted so it would not rotate and change focus under recoil.  I also change out the batterys once a year. I have one of the new SureFire type lights for use on the job and it is brighter. However  the MagLight set-up on the 870 will stay that way. It is dependable, light, and bright enough for my primary HD weapon needs. I don't see how .223 recoil would shake things in a MagLight set-up worse than a 12 ga. would. The new lights may be better / trender than a maglight but the MagLight works for me in the role I use the weapon for. M2C
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No you don't

+2

+3

heck, my maglight lasted ~4 weeks in  my pocket....

check out Brightflashlights in the EE for a G2 w/ shock isolated bezzel and mounting set up for a affordable price
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top