Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2013 12:17:23 AM EDT
Hey guys the more I think I about it I realize I want a kind of jack of all trades rifle with a 1x4 optic so I can also do a little coyote hunting and target shooting at longer distances. Currently I have a PSA mid length with a 16 inch CHF barrel with 1:7 twist and all I have optic wise is a MaTech BUIS. I was planning on cutting the FSB and throwing a free float rail on with a decent optic and bipod and working my way from there, but after doing a little research I'm kind of unsure.

It seems like most RECCEs I see have accurized stainless barrels meant for precision work. What kind of groups can I expect from the upper that I have if I turn it into a RECCE? Will it even be worth it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:50:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, what kind of accuracy does your barrel shoot now?  Free floating isn't going to magically make a poor performing barrel into a tack driver.  Accuracy improvement is usually modest at best;  the main benefit is to reduce/eliminate POI shifts from different tensions on the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:13:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Groups?

If you do your part with good ammo I am sure you can get 1 moa 5 five shot groups at 100 with a 1-4x which would be gtg in my book. From my experience its really the shooter that affects a guns accuracy unless you lock it down in a vice or something.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:01:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey guys the more I think I about it I realize I want a kind of jack of all trades rifle with a 1x4 optic so I can also do a little coyote hunting and target shooting at longer distances. Currently I have a PSA mid length with a 16 inch CHF barrel with 1:7 twist and all I have optic wise is a MaTech BUIS. I was planning on cutting the FSB and throwing a free float rail on with a decent optic and bipod and working my way from there, but after doing a little research I'm kind of unsure.

It seems like most RECCEs I see have accurized stainless barrels meant for precision work. What kind of groups can I expect from the upper that I have if I turn it into a RECCE? Will it even be worth it?

Thanks
View Quote

The barrel will work for now, you do your part, that barrel will do its. I know you your looking at a free float right away, but I think most people would gain/ not F up their rifles accuracy with a better trigger for initial mod. SSA/ SSA-E/ RRA - NM 2 stage/ really any of the geissele's. and then do the rail, bipods are nice, but I shoot better off sand bags, when I'm hunting my bipods in the bag.. when im target shooting.. its in the bag..

1. trigger
2. rail
3. optic
4. bipod. is my vote for you, but as always, do what makes you the happiest.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#4]
If it came down to it later on could I just swap out the barrels with a better one?

Most of my rifle shooting is within 50 yards and I'm thinking a .223 Recce would be a great start to learning how to hit steel at 500m instead of just dropping more money on a precision bolt gun that I don't know how to use
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:55:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If it came down to it later on could I just swap out the barrels with a better one?

Most of my rifle shooting is within 50 yards and I'm thinking a .223 Recce would be a great start to learning how to hit steel at 500m instead of just dropping more money on a precision bolt gun that I don't know how to use

View Quote
I have taken my stock 14.5 out to 400 with an Aimpoint so you will be gtg, and yes upgrade the barrel/trigger after you have proven to yourself that you can hit at distance.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#6]
This was posted in the Palmetto Forum a couple weeks ago. A PSA standard m4 upper.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_301/237932_PSA_m4_accuracy_and_thanks_.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, what kind of accuracy does your barrel shoot now?  Free floating isn't going to magically make a poor performing barrel into a tack driver.  Accuracy improvement is usually modest at best;  the main benefit is to reduce/eliminate POI shifts from different tensions on the barrel.
View Quote

+1 on what he said...

What does it shoot now? If you want real accuracy then you have to reload for your rifle. Your rifle will probably outshoot you with good reloads. You can add in a 2 stage trigger and then maybe a free float later. You might have what you think is a 2moa rifle with 55gr surplus. Throw in some 70 gr reloads might take it down to sub moa....
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Imo its not worth converting you ar. Build a 2nd ar recca style.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why is that. I'm pretty budgeted so just curious
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One suggestion would be, that if you're going to replace the barrel, it would probably make sense to just put the new barrel and handguard onto a new upper receiver, then you'd have an upper half you could just swap out with the existing one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

One suggestion would be, that if you're going to replace the barrel, it would probably make sense to just put the new barrel and handguard onto a new upper receiver, then you'd have an upper half you could just swap out with the existing one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes it easier too if you have one upper with say a red dot and the recce with a mounted scope. Saves you time re-zeroing the rifle. And 1 is none, 2 is one....
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#13]
What are some good budget RECCE uppers?

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread has gone way off topic. It looks cool so, yes, you should do it
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks guys
View Quote

You can get a decent barrel for under $300, and the upper itself for ~$100
Other than that, there is no such thing as "budget" and RECCE.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

So, you want to bang steel at 500m? You can do that with the rifle you have now, with iron sights.

I personally think you should invest money in ammo and time at the range practicing. Hitting steel silhouettes at 500m is quite easy once you practice and learn how to adjust your elevation to hit said distance. Properly zero that Matech rear sight, then put the elevation nob on the 500 mark. Start plinking steel at 500m.

ETA: Once you get that down, then add a 1-4x optic, and your jack of all trades rifle is done. My go to rifle for plinking, hunting, and competitive shooting has always been my M4A1 clone with a standard carry handle.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Ammo is the biggest factor in mechanical accuracy. Most rack grade barrels with shoot MOA because modern manufacturing techniques are very consistent.

An optic and better trigger make it easier for the shooter to get smaller groups, but do not improve accuracy.

Free floating handguards do not improve accuracy, they make it more difficult to deflect the barrel from pressure.

Good technique plus good ammo will get you on steel at 500 with the Matech.

If you want a RECCE, then build it one piece at a time. The most important piece of a RECCE is probably the optic, so buy that first.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:54:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks guys
View Quote

check PSA
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top