Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2003 10:31:16 PM EDT
I have circled it in red. What is the thing wrapped around the end of the foregrip and why is it there? Also, why is the mag taped up?
http://ritkhan.homestead.com/files/car.jpg
http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/assault/m4/m4-3.jpg
http://www.isayeret.com/photos/sf-61.jpg
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
delta ring.. and no clue why it is taped up
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a guess, but that looks like rigger's tape being used to keep dust out [:)]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe a big rubber-band to hold a mag onto the handguards until they are attacked/threatened and then they are allowed to load?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:13:03 AM EDT
[#4]
All the other times this has been asked it is usually answered with:

Metal gets very hot in the desert sun, so they cover everything.  Seems the most reasonable to me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have "heard" that the tape on the mags can provide a better "grip" for reloading, and keeps them a bit more quiet when rubbing up next to each other in tactical vests & mag pouches.

I would think this could be especially true if the tape had some kind of "cloth" texture to it.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:19:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Israeli soldiers are often seen carrying their rifles unloaded when off duty.  They secure their magazine to the gun with elastic bands and then tether it to the handguard so its not lost.  Im assuming it could pull away with enough force if need be.  It also serves the purpose of keeping dust from entering the upper receiver at the gas tube hole:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24926&iGalleryUnq=258&iImageUnq=2454[/img]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#7]
so it's an elastic and not tape?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I would say it could be both. He also has one holding the latch on his telescoping butt stock in the 3rd pic. My guys used duct tape on their mags so they would not rattle in the pouch. On the first pic, it loocks like a sock on the mag finished with duct tape.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#9]
The use of tape around the magazines when I was in the service was for the following reasons:

1. helps to keep mags from rattling and being noisy in the pouches when moving - you would be surprised how loud that can be on a still night when trying to infiltrate. We would also have to "silence" all our LBE, ALICE, and slings, etc.

2. When in the dark or smoke, helps keep track of which side of the magazine is top and bottom for quick insertion and mag changes.

3. I know some who put colored tape to designate different types of ammo, such as SS109 and tracer.

4. Some guys rigged a quick pull device with tape and 550 cord to rapidly pull the mag from it's pouch with no fumbling - downside - it catches on trees and branches when moving through wooded terrain.

5. Some would fashion "Jungle Mags" (two mags taped together, one sometimes inverted} with tape by first wrapping one several times to build up a gap, then the other to secure them together. Eventually resulted in a sticky mess, but worked for the short term.

I can't think of any other reasons why we used tape on our mags.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just a guess, but that looks like rigger's tape being used to keep dust out [:)]
View Quote

You got it!

Samuel
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top