Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2005 2:07:54 AM EDT
Hello, everybody! It seems that I need to ask you guys more questions again. Hard to be a AR15 noob... I got an offer to buy an AR15, the problem is that I don't know anything about it. It is a custom gun made by Clark Custom. The upper is Clark Custom and the lower is a Bushmaster. The trigger is JP and so is the compensator. I think that the gun has a 1/2 MOA guarantee...?

I am going to use it for IPSC-matches and target shooting. Accuracy is top priority.

Please, I need your advice on this one. I have to decide wether to buy it or not by tomorrow.

Storegnu
NORWAY
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:14:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:59:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
should work for IPSC, is it a flattop? It's a kit gun (BFI lower) so I'd be leary of it functionwise.

Hi! Thanks for our quick answer. The lower is a standard Bushmaster with original trigger replaced by a JP trigger. The upper is a flattop from DPMS and the barrel is DPMS. What does Clark Custom do with the DPMS uppers? Are Clark Custom well known in the US?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:06:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Does the AR look like this one on Clark's website?

Clark Custom Guns has a very good reputation in the USA and has been in business for many years.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:10:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I would never jump into a purchase like this one

Maybe its just me, but when spending (whatever a fair amount of money is) for a firearm, I want to know exactly what I want, what options are available, and then make an educated decision on the best one.

Emotional or impulsive buys often turn out to be remorseful ones.

What's the rush?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does the AR look like this one on Clark's website?

Clark Custom Guns has a very good reputation in the USA and has been in business for many years.

Yes it looks like that one. It has a JP-gasblock. Thanks for the info! Good to know that CCG has a good rep!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would never jump into a purchase like this one

Maybe its just me, but when spending (whatever a fair amount of money is) for a firearm, I want to know exactly what I want, what options are available, and then make an educated decision on the best one.

Emotional or impulsive buys often turn out to be remorseful ones.

What's the rush?

The rush is that I am getting a good deal on this one. That will say that I am paying only slightly more than you guys does for this rifle. That is cheap in Norway. This is probably the only CCG-rifle in my country also.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I've shot a Clark rifle at a match before. Worked fine but nothing really special about it. It's just collection of other peoples parts put in one gun. I don't know if i'd call it a true "custom". They function test and have gaurentee of accuracy but there are catches to everything on how that works.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't get these accuracy guarantees anyway.  Does this mean any shooter, of any ability can plop their happy ass on the bench and pull off 1/2 MOA all day long???  I highly doubt it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:12:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:52:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't get these accuracy guarantees anyway.  Does this mean any shooter, of any ability can plop their happy ass on the bench and pull off 1/2 MOA all day long???  I highly doubt it.

It means using match factory ammo, the gun is capable of a certain accuracy standard - from a machine rest if push comes to shove. The second you factor in retard behind the trigger, no one could guarantee anything....ever.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:01:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm more concerned that storegnu is in Norway and if the rifle doesn't work he can't return it to the US for repair. Therefore buying a kit gun might be a bad idea.

good point, Tweak

sorry storegnu, I didnt (read your entire post like a fool) realize you were home-based in Norway.

Precision shooters like the Clark typically require loving care, regular adjustment and 'tweaking' , so I would go/no go based on your proficiency with these things or access to a quality gunsmith.

Good luck and let us know how she works out (and dont forget to post the pix)

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:19:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I would think it would have a DPMS lower as well, beings Clark is a DPMS sponsored shooter.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the answers! I have been away for a few days, so I couldn't respond before now.

I decided to buy the rifle. It looks very well built and I am looking so forward to trying it. The seller has got the gun built to him by CCG, he is a Norwegian shooting a lot of IPSC in the US and could guarantee that is was a top gun.

I will post some pics of the gun as soon as I can get my hands on it. Hopefully tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:30:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm more concerned that storegnu is in Norway and if the rifle doesn't work he can't return it to the US for repair. Therefore buying a kit gun might be a bad idea.

Hi! Luckily we have a few gunsmiths that can fix AR15 here also. But, of course, I would have preferred to have the dealer a little bit closer to where I live. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good point, Tweak

sorry storegnu, I didnt (read your entire post like a fool) realize you were home-based in Norway.

Precision shooters like the Clark typically require loving care, regular adjustment and 'tweaking' , so I would go/no go based on your proficiency with these things or access to a quality gunsmith.

Good luck and let us know how she works out (and dont forget to post the pix)

img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/redfisher19/bulletholes.gif

Good points! I have never owned an AR15 before, and have very little experience with them (have shot a C8 and C7 in the army a few times)). But I do have access to a good gunsmith. I am not new to shooting by any means (many years of competition shooting with pistols and bolt action rifles, +3 years in the army.) and think I will be able to work most of it out myself.

That it needs regular care is okay, I am not buying it for self defense, just for fun on the shooting range.

Thanks for your post! I will post some pics.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:43:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Precision shooters like the Clark

and I guess that is my question. Looking aroud CCG's site I don't see whose uppers and lowers they use but I do see a lot of DPMS parts on board. Depends on who screwed the thing together. If CCG built it using a BFI lower and DPMS upper and internals then I would hope the rifle works. If it's not a CCG gun but only a CCG upper I'd be cautious good deal or not.

It's a CCG gun. Built for Henning Wallgren (IPSC shooter) which I am buying it from.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top