Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/5/2003 11:58:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2003 11:58:55 AM EDT by TimJ]
Is it that hard to drill out the aluminum without breaking the pivot point?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 12:00:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2003 12:04:45 PM EDT by 308wood]
yes, it's impossible. the center of the holes are in two different places. get an adaptor pin from bushmaster
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 12:06:32 PM EDT
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/nes-06.asp[/url] [img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/Images/nes-06.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 12:22:56 PM EDT
got one. hate it. Want big hole upper. Without paying too much $$$$$$$$.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 1:17:24 PM EDT
Pay the piper and get a new upper. [url]http://www.danieldefense.com/store/cart.asp?catid=1[/url] Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 1:38:52 PM EDT
The adapter pin that Bushmaster and most everyone else sells, is a POS/PITA. CDNN has what you need for $6.99 + S&H here [url=http://www.cdnninvestments.com/arunfronconp.html]best adaptor pin[/url] This pin does not bind, twist or all that crap like the one that bushmaster sells does. It functions just like the original large colt pin, but has a smaller dia. shaft which is offset.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:02:26 PM EDT
Thanks. I have broken two adapter pins so far. I'll keep looking. tim
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:19:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TimJ: Thanks. I have broken two adapter pins so far. I'll keep looking. tim
View Quote
?????How the hell do you break an adapter pin. Used the CDNN converter for years w/o the slightest problem, til I lucked onto a large pin Colt forward assist upper at a gun show. Totally agree tho that the piece Bushie, and most everybody else, sells is a POS; not because it breaks, but because it shifts out of position every time you open the action up, and you eventually mangle the slots in the head by constantly having to reposition it. The CDNN unit stays in one place, and once set, stays that way[:D]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:40:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By shamayim:
Originally Posted By TimJ: Thanks. I have broken two adapter pins so far. I'll keep looking. tim
View Quote
?????How the hell do you break an adapter pin. Used the CDNN converter for years w/o the slightest problem, til I lucked onto a large pin Colt forward assist upper at a gun show. Totally agree tho that the piece Bushie, and most everybody else, sells is a POS; not because it breaks, but because it shifts out of position every time you open the action up, and you eventually mangle the slots in the head by constantly having to reposition it. The CDNN unit stays in one place, and once set, stays that way[:D]
View Quote
Damn Shamayim, it's about time you showed up[:)] You basically took the words out of my mouth. Obviously TimJ wants a large hole upper and nothing else. We tried though. I will call [BS] on the breaking of 2 adapter pins. TimJ, please fill us in on how one would break an adaptor pin, so others do not have the same problem.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 7:22:38 PM EDT
no B.S. bro. When you shotgun the rifle with the adapter pin, if it is not aligned correctly, it happens. They were the Bushmaster pins. Too many years with the '16 I just couldn't remember to not pop it open without checking. Again, thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 9:39:47 PM EDT
Mine looks like the CDNN style, but was sold as a kit from Colt. It came with an accuwedge and a Colt logo'd "key" that fit in the adaptor's little nut. It works great, as one side (see the CDNN pic) is bigger. Looking from the side, part of the diameter of the circle is cut flat to fit against the receiver's raised portion, keeping the adaptor straight and preventing it from turning. I'll post some pics soon.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:59:03 AM EDT
I have a slab sided lower, so it will rotate. But that's a sweet design....
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:37:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2003 8:46:28 AM EDT by fight4yourrights]
buy a decent lower [;)]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:16:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fight4yourrights: buy a decent lower [;)]
View Quote
OUCH! LOL $450.00 for a complte rifle? Why would I want another? I bought it in 1986 new.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:50:48 PM EDT
There is another option here and that is to bore out the existing holes in the desired location, then press in a brass or aluminum sleeve with an I.D. equivalent to the large pin diameter in the lower. You can get away with a pretty thin walled sleeve say .030" or so. I'm not sure what difference in the locations is but I doubt it's over .010"-.020"? What I'm talking about is a simple maching task. --RR
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:30:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TimJ: I have a slab sided lower, so it will rotate. But that's a sweet design....
View Quote
It will NOT rotate out of position on a slab side. It didn't on mine, and any number of others have posted that it doesn't rotate on theirs. It does turn when you open the action, but it also turns back when you close it, and that's the difference between it and the other kind [:D] Where I've been? Moving to the country all last week. Got the hell out of Atlanta, and went to the mountains of North Georgia [:D]. Woods full of deer in the back yard, river full of fish half a mile away (with a state built boat ramp), bluegrass music park around the corner, and hiking and camping in a National Forest 15 minutes away. It may not be Heaven, but it'll do until the real thing comes along[:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:11:35 AM EDT
cool, I'll try one (non rotating). Sounds like a nice spot, Shamiyan.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:19:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TimJ: cool, I'll try one (non rotating). Sounds like a nice spot, Shamiyan.
View Quote
TimJ, IM me your mailing address. I'll snail mail my used pin to you for free, as I no longer need it (sold my lower). If you don't like it send it back to me, if it works keep it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:13:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By G-CODE: TimJ, IM me your mailing address. I'll snail mail my used pin to you for free, as I no longer need it (sold my lower). If you don't like it send it back to me, if it works keep it.
View Quote
Thanks, but I ordered one today! Appreciate the offer, though, G-CODE! Tim
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:00:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SMGLee: Pay the piper and get a new upper. [url]http://www.danieldefense.com/store/cart.asp?catid=1[/url]
View Quote
Does anyone else make an upper that fits?
Top Top