Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 2:02:41 PM EDT
I wanted to put a serial number on a cast receiver, but all I have (that looks good) is a stamp set, will that crack the casting? What about a forged receiver?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I wanted to put a serial number on a cast receiver, but all I have (that looks good) is a stamp set, will that crack the casting? What about a forged receiver?

Make sure you support the area behind where you are stamping and I think you will be O.K.  The EA cast receivers have their serial numbers stamped in, even though the rest of the markings are usually cast-in raised.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
All depends on how hard you hit it with the hammer and where.  If over the mag well area, you'd want to reinforce the inside with a piece of wood.  I've wacked cast lowers without problems.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you're not altering an existing SN are you?

It's an 80%er.
I mark my AK flats with a stamp set, but on the cast receiver I was worried to use that, so I tryed an electric engraver, wich looked like total shit. After I posted this I went ahead and stamped the selecter marks on a forged 0% receiver, it looked OK, just not as straight as I'd like.
I'll try it on a casting tommorow.
I'm going to use a peace of solid bar stock steel in a vice as the backup plate, I do that on AK receivers.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
If it is already anodized the finish crack and chip some if stamped.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
How about taking it to a jewelry store. Would this work. I don't know how much they charge, but it would look pretty!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't hammer it like a nail. Several  small taps with a light hammer to gradually deepen the numerals.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top