Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/19/2005 8:04:43 PM EST
Can I use my factory A2 handguards on a DCM free float tube? or do I need a special A2 looking handguards for it? How about the gas tube? thanks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:07:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:14:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/19/2005 9:27:20 PM EST by Forward_Assist]
No, at least not in there standard configuration. They will need to be relieved at the end so they will fit around the larger diameter of the float tube. You can easily do this yourself, a sanding drum and a dremel tool work best. Take it slow a little at a time checking it in between for fit. Depending on the brand of float tube and how they attach the front sling swivel, you may have to also cut off the bottom front lug on the handguard that goes into the front handguard cap. With armalite you would have to, not necessary with Rock River. As for the gas tube, again it depends on the float tube, most of them have a slot cut in them so the tube can rise above the float tube clearing it however you may need to do a little bending of the gas tube. Others use a shorter slot with a National Match gas tube that is bent to clear the float tube and slightly longer.

F.A.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:51:19 PM EST
As F.A. says you'll need the best all-round gunsmithing tool, the Dremel. It's not too hard to do, just take it steady and regularly check for fit. That'll show you where you need to take a bit more off.

BTW, wear a dust mask, using a Dremel (or similar) on those guards creates a lot of dust that'll stick to your throat. It'll probably kill you sooner, at least it cannot be good for you.

RRA tubes come complete with a modified gas tube (and guards for that matter).
Top Top