Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/25/2006 10:03:27 AM EDT
Quick Question:

I have an older style .40SW Olympic arms A1 Upper. I like how it is now but want to switch to a flattop upper.

So if i buy a stripped upper wtih forward assist and ejection port cover installed...how easy or hard is the swap?

I noticed in my upper now there is a pin going across for the ejector spring etc. How bad is it to drill this in a new upper?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:46:03 AM EDT
I recently drilled a flat top for Olys spring ejector. Nothing special and too easy. The only thing to watch out for is the hole for the end of the spring. If you drill the hole a little too low, your spring will have greater tension. Too high and you will have a weak spring.

I drilled mine a couple thousandths too low and my spring is super stiff, but it works fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:49:49 AM EDT
can you tell me what you used to know where exactly to drill the whole? any template? Or is it more important for it to be an exact distance from the bottom of the receiver?

And how hard was it to take out the ejector spring from the current receiver?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:16:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By elmo:
can you tell me what you used to know where exactly to drill the whole? any template?

This been floating around, save it, don't link it.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:19:15 PM EDT
thanks so much...i'll prob take to a machine shop for them to do it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:38:26 PM EDT

can you tell me what you used to know where exactly to drill the whole? any template? Or is it more important for it to be an exact distance from the bottom of the receiver?

And how hard was it to take out the ejector spring from the current receiver?

That's the template I used. As the spring is under tension when installed, there is some room for error on the placement of the holes.

As far as I know, the ejector springs are the same for all pistol calibers. I didn't take the spring out of another receiver, I ordered a new ejector spring assembly from Oly. If you want to use the existing spring, all that is needed is to drive out the small pin in the bar that goes across the receiver and holds the spring. It might be easier to squeeze it out with pliers. Driving it out might bend the pin that holds the spring.

I suggest just ordering a new spring ejector assy as they are less than $15.
Top Top