Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2005 9:25:53 PM EDT
Howdy, folks.
I was going to title my first post "Can I play in this sandbox?", but since "sandbox" seems to have taken on a new meaning in the last couple of years, I thought that I would adjust my wording accordingly. haveI've shot the suckers a lot over the last 12 years, but never owned one of my own until now. I hesitated on my purchase for years, being harassed by a lot of M1A shooters to buy a "real rifle".

I don't know, I kind of like my new "varmint" gun, a Bushmaster M4gery.
Damn thing is very easy to take down, and changing components seems to be commonplace.
Haven't shot the darned thing yet, after owning it for over a week (the weather is really rainy here in NW ark.).
Loving the ergonomics and the sights, though!!!

I have all kinds of plans for this carbine, as soon as I can rake up some more cash. hn,
Take care, folks, and shoot straight.

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I am kinda foggy about all these ologies... but without looking it up are you a foot...

No no no... thats pedal.

Hmmmmm

Hoplophile.

Weapons.

I think I may be putting 2 and 2 together soon!

Welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#4]
welcome
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome aboard
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Gents (and ladies),

Thanks for the kind welcome!

I have had a few cold ones tonight, so my spelling and grammar might be off a bit!

I chose the log-on "Hoplologist" because of my chosen career field.

I happen to be a professional anthropologist (woe is me), who is peculiarly (according to most other anthropologists) interested in weapons, warfare, and warriors.

My particular speciality is ancient Scythian-Sarmatian horse nomads, but I am perpetually fascinated by all aspects of military paraphernalia and mentality.

I apologize for the big words with Latin and Greek endings, but I get really "loquacious" with alcohol in my system. :-)

I have never fired a shot in anger, and hope never to have to do so!

Despite that claim, I have spent a little bit of time just west of the current "sandbox".
It was in a somewhat more peaceful time, however.
I saw a few weapons, but nobody every shot at me. :-)

Y'all take it easy, y'hear?

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]
You can't buy a new M4orgy and not post a pic of your new baby.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll have to borrow my GF's digital camera for a picture. Wait one (or a few).
It ain't purple, but I am colorblind, so what the frack do I know? :-)

P.S. She was really, really pissed that I bought an "assault rifle".
She knew I liked guns, and tolerated my SA revolvers and single shot 'African'
rifles, but expressed distaste over this last purchase.
I love her, but can't seem to educate her! :-)

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:33:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Women..... can't live with them, can't trade em for a new M4
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:42:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:10:38 AM EDT
[#11]
watch out for Lumpy tho, he's teh devil
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:11:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Welcome. Glad you made it. Next time you do have a smarmy smirk directed at your AR at the range you ought to beckon the jackass over and suggest he try a "real" rifle. Of course hell begin his tirade, which you simply silence with an abrupt wave of your hand and inform him that AR-15s are the original, and M-16s are the mod. M-14s are a real rifle and that M1A is an out of spec, overpriced M-14 knockoff.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
AR-15s are the original, and M-16s are the mod. M-14s are a real rifle and that M1A is an out of spec, overpriced M-14 knockoff.  

damn, I never thought of it that way, good point
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Welcome to the boards.  Nice name.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Welcome! and.....

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I got a new shot gun for my wife.

Best trade I ever made.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

can't trade? Wait a minute now!  Red head?  

welcome aboard
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Good, More people from Arkansas...

Whats she gonna say when you buy your next one?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Tell her that you bought it to make sure that it would never fall into the hands of a criminal.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#21]
welcome to the sickness....!!!

only one thing left to do now.....

shoot the hell out of it....!!!

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#23]
You might as well buy another one now, while she's pissed at you.
That way she won't have to get pissed at you again later.
Tell her you did it cause you care about her feelings.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Pictures, OK..... I love this pic shot.  The AR supports a EOTech 552 now

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'll have to borrow my GF's digital camera for a picture. Wait one (or a few).
It ain't purple, but I am colorblind, so what the frack do I know? :-)

She knew I liked guns, and tolerated my SA revolvers and single shot 'African'
rifles, but expressed distaste over this last purchase.
I love her, but can't seem to educate her! :-)

Dump her... did I say that?

Give it a week

Then dump her

GM
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#26]
<--- Anthropology minor (possible 2nd major).

I'm glad you have managed to make your discipline even more interesting.  I do enjoy the more typical topics, but I can only take loin-clothed sexual deviants for so long.  ("Sexuality and culture" class... don't ask)

Welcome to the site!

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'm glad you have managed to make your discipline even more interesting.  I do enjoy the more typical topics, but I can only take loin-clothed sexual deviants for so long.  ("Sexuality and culture" class... don't ask)

Welcome to the site!

- BUCC_Guy

We want pics....
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#28]
thats funny that people gave you crap about buying an m1a (a "real rifle")
I don't understand all those .308 die hards. I own a springfield m1a loaded. It's nothing that special.
Have fun with your bushy, lets us know what setup you go with on your next ARs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey y'all,

Re: the GF----No, I can't dump her. heI just have to re-indoctrinate her gradually, gradually teaching her the things that her extremely liberal mother said were verboten. her
Buying the next rifle may be a ways off. I still don't have a real professional job yet (teaching half-time right now, while finishing the dissertation), and this M4gery has yet to be accessorized in proper Gucci fashion. Or would that be arm-ani? he

The Bushie definitely needs a high quality rail system of some kind, and an optic, with a BUIS.
I do plan to shoot the heck out of it this week (probably with wolf or some Lake City----5.56 is scarce in these parts right now).
After that, I'll decide whether I want or need to free-float or not.
If I go the FF route, I'll probably wait around for a Larue 7.0. I have pored through the build pages so many times now, I think I could handle the install.
The optic will either be an Aimpoint or an Eotech.

I really want to thank everyone for the kind welcome, and for helping to make such a great site. Compared to other forums that I have lurked around or participated in, this place is pretty genteel, and y'all are not a bit shy about sharing your hard-earned knowledge and expertise.
It is much appreciated.

Cheers,
John

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Of course, the GF wants to buy land and build a house, so that further complicates the gun budget. dammit.

It doesn't have to be two different things, just make sure to buy enough land that you can build a range out back.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#31]
oops, sorry for the double
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#32]
John,

Nice thing about black rifles.......they all look the same to (most) women.  As long as you don't lay them out on the table at the same time, she will never know the difference.  Especially after you tinker with the parts a few times, change up the one you have so that it has a different look and all

But what do I know.........I sold all my EVIL BLACK RIFLES.  

Doc
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Welcome to the site!

- BUCC_Guy

Scantily clad sexual deviants? Whoa! Sounds like fun. hey
Anthropology can be very interesting, and lots of fun, as long as one resolves never to take oneself too seriously.
Every darned anthropologist in the world either comes up with his or her own theory (about whatver), and thinks it is The Final Answer, or takes someone else's theory and considers it holy writ.
Critical thinking isn't really valued any more, especially if you are being critical of the current mainstream(s).
It's all about applied anthropology (which I admit does have its place) and the struggle to help the oppressed (who may or may not consider themselves such).
I could go into a longer rant, particularly about the current direction of some professional socieites which shall not be named, but I won't. have
I never took a "Sexuality and Culture" class, even though it has been offered. I did take a pop culture class once, by a prof who was primarily focused (at that time) on queer culture. Not quite my cup of tea. hey,hatArchaeology can be fun, too, if you don't mind long hours and hard work under field conditions.
I still remember when i found my first (and only) iron arrow point (a broadhead) at Tell Ya'amun.
What a thrill!!!

Much more exciting than the eggshells we dug up, which were considered far more archaeologically important.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
John,

Nice thing about black rifles.......they all look the same to (most) women.  As long as you don't lay them out on the table at the same time, she will never know the difference.  Especially after you tinker with the parts a few times, change up the one you have so that it has a different look and allhat
Doc

I think that is good advice.
I already told her that I needed to accessorize, so she'll never know one config from another!
Now, I just need a safe to hide them in . . . . . . .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top