Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2004 7:07:53 PM EDT
I am looking at bushys website, 1055 for complete rifle, 295 for lower and 585 for upper.  Could I just buy them separately and get the same rifle for less?   My badchoice-o-meter is going off.  

So, what am I missing here?  
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#1]
There is some type of BS tax applied to selling a complete rifle, IIRC.  The major sellers like Bushmaster pass that cost on to the customer.  That's why I build my own.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Just make sure you buy them seperately.
What I do is pick up a stripped lower from an FFL and then order an upper.
Most of my savings has come from not having to replace parts I don't want. You know, instead of buying a rifle with and then replacing all of the furniture, I just build it the way I want in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Well this would be my first AR and I am not picky(yet) when it comes to specific parts.  I just want to shoot alot of .223.  

I am trying to do this on a limited budget.  That is why I am looking at this option.  

However, for the record, They WILL fit together from the factory?  
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:51:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Usually.  Unless you get a large hole Colt lower and try to use a small hole upper (or the other way around), and even then you can get an adapter to put them together.  Sometimes things can be a little tight and may require some breaking in or fitting, but usually not.  If you stick with the same brand upper and lower you should have no trouble at all, and if not so long as both makers are within mil-spec then they will fit together OK.  It is rare that they don't fit together OK, but I don't want to tell you it NEVER happens.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There is some type of BS tax applied to selling a complete rifle, IIRC.  The major sellers like Bushmaster pass that cost on to the customer.  That's why I build my own.

Not much question about FET being a BS tax, but it is a federal tax, and all makers tack it on to COMPLETED weapons.  If you are buying parts, you don't pay FET.  That means if you buy an upper, and then a lower, you won't pay FET (10% or so).  However, if you buy them both at the same time, you are buying a complete weapon, and FET would apply.  This is why shops won't sell you everything at one time, they want to stay in business.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#6]
FET a BS tax Hardly!!  IIRC, that tax was proposed and supported by sportsmens groups as an excise tax on all shooting, hunting, fishing, etc. related supplies and equipment. The proceeds were to be applied to Federal programs such as game management, fisheries,  habitat acquisition, etc. Early in the twentieth century, a coalition of  sportsmens groups and firearms manufacturers , in hope of preserving for future generations (YOU) some game and lands to hunt it on, volunteered this program. I can't tell you that the program still operates as originally envisioned, but the good intent was there. Many of the fishing and hunting opportunities you enjoy today (fish stocking and wildlife management areas) wouldn't exist but for the foresight of your fathers and grandfathers who proposed and supported this "BS"  11% excise tax!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#7]
the pittman-robertson tax is a tax on sportsman by sportsman for sportsman organizations.

i do not know if the pr tax is the same tax as what is being called an f.e.t. in this thread, though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Federal Excise Tax info > Here

Danny
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the pittman-robertson tax is a tax on sportsman by sportsman for sportsman organizations.

i do not know if the pr tax is the same tax as what is being called an f.e.t. in this thread, though.

And "sportsmen" have exactly _what_ to do with the Second Amendment and militia weapons?

Pittman-Robertson has done some admirable things, but in many ways it was the camel's nose under the tent, introducing the "sporting purposes" concept that has since been used to justify banning weapons.  And now PR is even being used to fund the activities of the animal-rights loons.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well this would be my first AR and I am not picky(yet) when it comes to specific parts.  I just want to shoot alot of .223.  
I am trying to do this on a limited budget.  That is why I am looking at this option.  
However, for the record, They WILL fit together from the factory?  

They will go together fine.  You can probably save at least $100 if you go through a dealer and not through Bushmaster directly.  Maybe more if you go with a Rock River Arms.

You should email or check out Eagle Firearms or ADCO Firearms to find a better price on complete lowers.  You could save a few more dollars to buy a stripped lower and put it together yourself.

Look on the EE for a good deal on an upper or have ADCO build one exactly like you want.

Most of the uppers and lowers should just 'snap together', unless you get a Colt Uppper, some have large pin holes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I shoot because, if I have to choose between me and the bad guy, it's gonna be me walking out every single time.  I don't care if BG needs a wheelchair, stretcher or pine-wood box.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I shoot because, if I have to choose between me and the bad guy, it's gonna be me walking out every single time.  I don't care if BG needs a wheelchair, stretcher or pine-wood box.

WTF?  what does this BG stuff have to do with a upper and lower????
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#13]
P.S. If you pay $295 for a lower, you're nuts...

$85 is far more reasonable for a stripped LR, and the LPK & stock don't cost $110....

See HERE for lowers:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=211351

And yes, all forged lowers are the same, except for Colt's, which have funky pin sizes...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 build your own!!!  
Develop your own choices not buying the weapon and then buying aftermarket parts.......too much money in that'

Besides, there ain't much better than seeing a row of stripped lowers in your safe calling your name to complete them....hehehe!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#15]
FET is charged on stripped lowers because it is a gun.  The difference is 11% of $100 vs. $1000.  There is no way around FET.  The other reason it's cheaper to buy your new AR as parts is you're not paying someone else to assemble it.  I'd say +1 on building your own, just get read this website for the info you will need.

-YJ

ETA I may be wrong about being able to buy a stripped lower without paying FET.  But if you don't pay it up front you're supposed to pay the tax after you build the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
P.S. If you pay $295 for a lower, you're nuts...

$85 is far more reasonable for a stripped LR, and the LPK & stock don't cost $110....

See HERE for lowers:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=211351

And yes, all forged lowers are the same, except for Colt's, which have funky pin sizes...

That $295 is for an assembled lower with a buttstock attached, not for a stripped lower.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That $295 is for an assembled lower with a buttstock attached, not for a stripped lower.

$295 for a bushy lower is not that bad.  If you build a BM, you could only beat that price by about $20, not including shipping from multiple sources.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$295 for a bushy lower is not that bad.  If you build a BM, you could only beat that price by about $20, not including shipping from multiple sources.

I've seen them as low as $260 at funshows.
I was pricing out my first build at a gunshow. I was going to use a stripped RRA lower and bushy upper. I got a deal on a complete bushmaster, at the show, for about the same as it would have cost me to build the rifle from the ground up. It all depends on what you want, and how willing you are to look for deals.

Nearly half, and more than half once the ban sunsets, of my ARs are home built. But, they all cost as much as buying a complete rifle. The least expensive of the rifles I own was a complete CAV15. Once the ban expires, the most expensive rifle I own will be a homebuilt rifle. That's no slam on CAVArms, it's just the way it worked out. My CAV15 is one of the nicest rifles I own.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Unless you like having the Bushmaster name on your lower, you are paying more than necessary. There are numerous equally good lowers available for much less (Mega, Ameetec, Stag etc., all ~$90 shipped for a stripped lower). Installing the LPK and stock is childsplay, plus you can get one now with the telestock. Get a Bushy upper half from one of the dealers here, or you can save even more by going with a less prestigious upper (like Model 1)... I built my last M4gery for under $600 this way, including a chrome lined barrel. Some here have done it for less than $500.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Unless you like having the Bushmaster name on your lower, you are paying more than necessary. There are numerous equally good lowers available for much less (Mega, Ameetec, Stag etc., all ~$90 shipped for a stripped lower). Installing the LPK and stock is childsplay, plus you can get one now with the telestock. Get a Bushy upper half from one of the dealers here, or you can save even more by going with a less prestigious upper (like Model 1)... I built my last M4gery for under $600 this way, including a chrome lined barrel. Some here have done it for less than $500.

you are correct

besides a price over 1000 for a bushy gun is too high

i have seen A3 20 inchers for 800 with the carry handle included

still over 200 cheaper

525 easily will build one from parts
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top