Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/9/2018 9:21:38 PM
Posted: 3/12/2005 10:30:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/12/2005 10:32:16 PM EST by upnorthbacon]
I couldn't find an answer searching and I'm sure someone else has asked this so sorry in advance. I'm thinking of buying a flattop gutted upper for my bushmaster with the A2. I was thinking of installing all the parts from my bushmaster A2 into the new flatop including bolt and barrel. My question is can I do this safely without having to have it headspaced? I'm confident that I can pull the parts out and install them without any problems. Will replacing the upper mean I have to have it head spaced or should I be alright since the barrel, bolt and everything else is practically brand new (Less than 300 rounds), including a brand new flattop upper? Sorry I know this question has probably been asked but I just want to make sure before I spend $100 on a flattop upper.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:19:50 PM EST
You'll be fine, the barrel extension and barrel are removed and installed as one piece normally so head spacing is really a non issue. As long as you have the basic tools, action/barrel block and wrench, go for it!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:47:45 PM EST
Just make sure you have the action blocks and proper wrench to do this. You'll F-up your receiver if you dont use the blocks. It's pretty easy to do the actual work, I've used a friends blocks/wrench a few times, really need to buy my own set... ;)
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:22:35 AM EST
You are going to use the same barrel and bolt so headspace is a non-issue.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:09:21 AM EST
All questions are answered here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782
Top Top