Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2006 10:42:49 AM EDT
Are these good quality as far as how long they burn? anyone had any problems, I read on here that a guy had one lodge in his barrel. not sure what kind of tracers he had
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought 5 boxes of the Winchester boxed .223 tracers a month or two ago... when it arrived, I was surprised to see it is actually 5.56mm M856. Headstamped WCC 96 w/ NATO cross. I've only fired one box so far, definitley fun to shoot. Watching ricochets head skyward is pretty neat. (If not a little concerning hock.gif) The only problems I've had is annoying little flecks of orange paint inside the barrel extension and upper.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
the tracers work by the orange paint igniting with the air friction
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Talon ammo I believe. Talon is a known demill ammo company that takes mil ammo, demills it by replacing one component [usually the powder] and then sells it. I KNOW Cabalas sells it because I saw it there last week.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought phosphorus is what made them burn
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I was tempted to get some the other day at Cabella's Dundee store, but dang it was expensive...  They also sold the projos seperately in 100 count bags; both 5.56 and 7.62.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Talon ammo I believe. Talon is a known demill ammo company that takes mil ammo, demills it by replacing one component [usually the powder] and then sells it. I KNOW Cabalas sells it because I saw it there last week.

I think they have to replace the primers too.  The "scrap" has to be inert when the demil work is complete.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they have to replace the primers too.  The "scrap" has to be inert when the demil work is complete.

Not from what I have seen, all that has to be done is for ONE component to be replaced. The powder is the easiest, fastest, and cheapest to do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought phosphorus is what made them burn

Twonami is referring to the "Mythbusters" definition of how a tracer works.  More than likely their intern that did the research mixed up how API and tracers work.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I have  fired about 3 or 4 boxes thru my ar, they are neat to see down range at dusk
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#10]
The reason i ask is because my sisters boyfriend works at cabelas and he gets a discount on shit, i think he said he can get the 200 rounds for 48 bucks instead of 70 so i am in thanks for the feed back
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I bought 5 boxes of the Winchester boxed .223 tracers a month or two ago... when it arrived, I was surprised to see it is actually 5.56mm M856. Headstamped WCC 96 w/ NATO cross. I've only fired one box so far, definitley fun to shoot. Watching ricochets head skyward is pretty neat. (If not a little concerning ) The only problems I've had is annoying little flecks of orange paint inside the barrel extension and upper.

I finally took a look at my boxes of tracers from Cabelas and it indeed is the same stuff you got.
I haven't fired it yet though
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:17:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The tracers that are marked 5.56 M856 61gr are in fact Winchester M856 and not Talon M196 reman tracers. From what I was told they are Winchester M856 from 96 that fell out for various QC reasons similar to XM193. I have gone through about a dozen boxes and only had 2 that failed to ignite. This is the real deal and pretty good stuff too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I had  one round of Talon tracer with no powder, just a click and no bang!!!  Extracted the empty to find the bullet lodged just ahead of the chamber.  Neat to fire but this was not a good situation that could have been very bad.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top