Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/3/2006 10:42:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2006 4:33:15 PM EDT by RafterMan]
Are these good quality as far as how long they burn? anyone had any problems, I read on here that a guy had one lodge in his barrel. not sure what kind of tracers he had
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:31:54 PM EDT
I bought 5 boxes of the Winchester boxed .223 tracers a month or two ago... when it arrived, I was surprised to see it is actually 5.56mm M856. Headstamped WCC 96 w/ NATO cross. I've only fired one box so far, definitley fun to shoot. Watching ricochets head skyward is pretty neat. (If not a little concerning hock.gif) The only problems I've had is annoying little flecks of orange paint inside the barrel extension and upper.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:34:27 PM EDT
the tracers work by the orange paint igniting with the air friction

<­BR>

­

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:40:43 PM EDT
Talon ammo I believe. Talon is a known demill ammo company that takes mil ammo, demills it by replacing one component [usually the powder] and then sells it. I KNOW Cabalas sells it because I saw it there last week.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:00:03 PM EDT
I thought phosphorus is what made them burn
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:26:49 AM EDT
I was tempted to get some the other day at Cabella's Dundee store, but dang it was expensive... They also sold the projos seperately in 100 count bags; both 5.56 and 7.62.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:36:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:
Talon ammo I believe. Talon is a known demill ammo company that takes mil ammo, demills it by replacing one component [usually the powder] and then sells it. I KNOW Cabalas sells it because I saw it there last week.

I think they have to replace the primers too. The "scrap" has to be inert when the demil work is complete.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:09:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GHPorter:

I think they have to replace the primers too. The "scrap" has to be inert when the demil work is complete.

Not from what I have seen, all that has to be done is for ONE component to be replaced. The powder is the easiest, fastest, and cheapest to do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:29:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RafterMan:
I thought phosphorus is what made them burn

Twonami is referring to the "Mythbusters" definition of how a tracer works. More than likely their intern that did the research mixed up how API and tracers work.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:58:26 PM EDT
I have fired about 3 or 4 boxes thru my ar, they are neat to see down range at dusk
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:52:22 PM EDT
The reason i ask is because my sisters boyfriend works at cabelas and he gets a discount on shit, i think he said he can get the 200 rounds for 48 bucks instead of 70 so i am in thanks for the feed back
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:47:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Thunderbolt882:
I bought 5 boxes of the Winchester boxed .223 tracers a month or two ago... when it arrived, I was surprised to see it is actually 5.56mm M856. Headstamped WCC 96 w/ NATO cross. I've only fired one box so far, definitley fun to shoot. Watching ricochets head skyward is pretty neat. (If not a little concerning ) The only problems I've had is annoying little flecks of orange paint inside the barrel extension and upper.

I finally took a look at my boxes of tracers from Cabelas and it indeed is the same stuff you got.
I haven't fired it yet though
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:17:14 AM EDT

The tracers that are marked 5.56 M856 61gr are in fact Winchester M856 and not Talon M196 reman tracers. From what I was told they are Winchester M856 from 96 that fell out for various QC reasons similar to XM193. I have gone through about a dozen boxes and only had 2 that failed to ignite. This is the real deal and pretty good stuff too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:02:27 PM EDT
I had one round of Talon tracer with no powder, just a click and no bang!!! Extracted the empty to find the bullet lodged just ahead of the chamber. Neat to fire but this was not a good situation that could have been very bad.
Top Top