Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2007 9:47:18 AM EDT
Hello All,

I am the proud owner of a Bushmaster A3 style rifle, and a CZ V22 upper.
I am fairly pleased with the V22 once I found the right ammo.
(The red boxed Americian eagle are great, CCI causes OOB case ruptures!)
The Aimco red dot sight that came with the upper also works fine.
I guess that you have to decide on the POI for short ranges however.

My question:

I would like to train using this upper as I would the 5.56 upper.
That is, mount the detachable handle/sight from the Bushmaster upper on the V22 and get a front sight.

There is a tapped hole w/ screw in the forward area where the front (gas block) front sight should go, has anyone found a front sight to mount there, either with the tapped hole or just on that short part of the rail?

Thank you for reading!
Link Posted: 3/12/2007 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The tapped hole you refer to is not really for BUIS mounting. The Pic rail will however take many of the standard front BUIS. I have the CH set-up w/ a no name front site mounted to the Pic rail. It works fine. The only issue you may have is the front site to match the rear with regard to the height. You may have to tweek the front post to align with the rear appature. Any good dealer on the EE board should be able to hook you up w/ a workable solution.
I also use a cheap CHI-COM x4(Colt clone) scope on the CH. This set-up works well.

Good luck, as always others will have good/better ideas/advise.
Link Posted: 3/12/2007 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, Doggbert.

I will look/ask on the EE forum.
How much vertical adjustment is available on yours?

Link Posted: 3/13/2007 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I replaced that short FF tube on my V22 with DPMS ventilated rifle length FF-tube and removed that "gas block".

I don't have iron sights at the moment but if I need them, I'll just add piece of Picatinny rail over FF-tube and attach front sight there. This way I can get longer sight radius, if needed.

Here's pic of my current setup:

http://www.hunt101.com/img/480911.JPG

Larger picture: www.hunt101.com/img/480911-big.JPG

Some details:
CZ V22 complete upper
Double Star lower
DIY Tuned RRA 2-stage trigger
KNS 2. Gen pins
Magpul MIAD Grip
Bushy A2 buttstock
Simmons 4-12x40 AO scope
AseUtra AU 22LR silencer
Harris 6-9" BRM-S bipod with podlock

Upcoming add-ons include Docter style reddot sight on angle mount and Digilight T12 flashlight.

Accuracy of this beauty is good enough for me. Best 5 shot group from 25 meters shot in indoor range from bipod rest is shown below. Ammo used was Schoenebeck Pistol Match.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/475421.JPG
Link Posted: 3/14/2007 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
CCI causes OOB case ruptures

Thank you for reading!

First off welcome to the site.

Your statement is 95% False.  CCI probably isn't causing your case ruptures.  It is commonly known that V22 had a batch of improperly machined chambers.  I originally thought it was just an improperly reamed chamber, but in fact it is an improperly machined feedramp.  The feedramp actually is machined into the chamber.  If you look at some of your spent brass, you will see a slight bulge opposite from the firing pin dent.  This bulge is forward (towards the muzzle) of the case rim and in the exact location of the feedramp.  I wish I had my camera at work as I could post a picture of the case.  I fired one shot with my upper, noticed the problem and sent to be repaired.

Link Posted: 3/14/2007 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello,

I am sure you are correct, even the AE brand round show a slight bulge.
Only certian brands of ammo would fail to feed fully and then fire with out being fully chambered.
 Where did you send yours to be repaired?
Link Posted: 3/14/2007 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#6]
The last importer of these was ADCO Sales in New Hamp, and there is a gunsmith up there that fixed the problem for him.  I forget the name, but I have the info at work.  I will post tomorrow.

It really sucks because I paid $350 for the upper (I was going to use the bolt system for a 17HMR conversion) turned it to look like a M4... ...lots of work later and I found the true problem.  Now another $75 to fix it (violin) ............  I should have just bought a 22 upper that had a better reputation.

Hopefully after all the fixes....it might run nice.
Link Posted: 3/15/2007 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I got permission to give out his contact information.  Please feel free to contact him regarding the repair of your V22 barrels.

Paul Gauffin
State Line Gun Shop
443 Fitchburg Road
Mason, NH 03048

www.statelinegunshop.com/index.cfm

Other gunsmiths could repair the barrel, but he is real familiar the these uppers as he reworked dozens for ADCO Sales a few years back.  The remaining stock of V22 from ADCO were sold to CDNN Investments, so if you purchased one from CDNN then you most likely have a reworked barrel.  I am not sure about Model 1 Sales V22 barrels......
Link Posted: 3/20/2007 2:01:02 AM EDT
[#8]
edwin247,

Can you give any details how this problem you mentioned was fixed?

It seems that my V22 has also the same problem with bulging cases.
Link Posted: 3/20/2007 2:53:18 AM EDT
[#9]
IMHO bulged cases in the V22 uppers is not a problem unless you have burst cases.

I've fired about 500 plus rounds in mine and have not had a round fire OOB or burst.

Many .22s bulge cases ahead of the rim.  I have a Browning T-bolt (an original with salt wood stock) that leaves a belt ahead of the rim when fired.

The feed system on some .22 autos require the feed ramp cut to extend slightly into the chamber.  The .45 auto in it's original configuration leaves the case unsupported just in front of the extractor groove.  Most 9mm pistols I've owned also leave a slight bulge ahead of the extractor groove.

On the front sight - I bought a YHM gas block sight and put it on the fake gas block.  Works fine for me.

The preceding is my experience and opinions - your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 3/20/2007 3:36:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I have fired about 1K rounds with my V22. Mixed bunch of SK Subsonic, Pistol Match, High Velocity, CCI Velocitor and many other brands and all cases are bulging.

No burst cases yet but it could happen any day.

My main concern is that thanks to strict legislation about building guns here in Finland, I'll need to send completed rifle to be inspected and test fired by government officials.

They are using overpressure rounds for testing and if case bursts in that test, my rifle will most likely fail in that test... hat
My Ruger 10/22T hasn't "produced" any bulged cases so far.
Link Posted: 3/20/2007 4:15:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Sako, they remachine the breech and chamber to correct the improperly machined feed ramp.

Mike, several people would disagree with you.  If you think Buldging case are fine, then please feel free to hurt yourself, but I would rather have a safe firearm for my 5 year old to shoot.  Everyone on this board knows that buldging cases are a sign of problems.
Link Posted: 3/20/2007 4:27:46 AM EDT
[#12]
edwin247,

Thank you for this information.

I agree with you that bulging cases in .22LR are not acceptable.
Link Posted: 3/20/2007 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#13]
As I said, IMHO.

I do appreciate your concerns - please accept my apologies if I offended anyone.

I did read that some of the V22s had incorrect chamber dimensions, too small I think, and had to be reworked.

The only OOB I've ever had was in an original AR-7 with a tight chamber.  No bulging cases but the OOB bent the side plate, distorted the mag (still usable) and left me with black marks on my left hand.  Left hand was numb for a few days.

That said - i have an old Nylon 66 (trading stamps back in the 1960s) that is accurate and cases come out in perfect shape.  I think that the manufacturers are a lot sloppier these days.
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Not a big deal.

I just want people to be aware of the problem with some V22 uppers.  It definately is your poragative if you want to fix yours or not.

Have fun!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2007 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#15]
"You guys are lucky that you don't have to go through such safety test procedures."

Yes, but maybe if we did, they would have made it right the first time!

I am especially mindful of ruptured cases, as I shoot lefty.
I will switch back to the 5.56 upper for the springtime(outdoors!), and see about getting this thing repaired.

Link Posted: 3/25/2007 6:22:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I am especially mindful of ruptured cases, as I shoot lefty.

That is exactly what Paul said!!!  10x more dangerous for lefties.  My upper is on the way back to me....3-4 days away.....Hopefully I can do some shooting with it this weekend.  

If I could only get Southern Gun Company to send me some mags!!!  2 International Phone Calls and several emails....nothing!!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a V22 that I setup with a carry handle with NM sights, and a removable front sight base.  The problem I had was matching up the correct height front sight base.  Brownells listed 2, and naturally the one I ordered first was too tall.
Prairie River Arms Front Sight Base

The second was just the right height.
DPMS Detachable Front Sight Base

I also got an adjustable front sight base with a globe sight so I can mount my RPA Trakker rear sight from my space gun and practice with those.
JP Enterprises Adjustable Front Sight Base

As far as function, between me, my boys, and the kids I teach at our gun club, thousands of rounds have been through this thing with very little trouble - even with a Jewell trigger.  Just recently though I noticed the groups opening up and some of the cases showed slight bulging just in front of the rim and about 1/5 around the case.  I also noticed the return springs seemed to have gotten weak just by the feel of pulling back on the charging handle.

After taking apart the upper and stretching the springs a little, the groups tightened back up and I haven't seen any more bulging of the cases.  I assume the weak spring tension was allowing the bolt to open too soon, and cause the bulging.

An advantage of having the side charging handle is that the kids seem to be able to manipulate it easier than the rear charging handle.  Another advantage is when we practice indoors with our pellet trap, we can use Calibri's and remain in sling positions while someone else cycles the charging handle between shots, simulating a rapid fire string.  And the accuracy with the Calibri's at 30' is very good.

I have a few Ceiner conversions that we use for practice, but if I could find similar V22 uppers I would probably get a couple more for our club.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 1:44:49 AM EDT
[#18]
My V22 has now been on gunsmith for few weeks and it should arrive back next week.

It's interesting to see how he fixed this bulging cases problem.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top