Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2002 11:45:21 AM EDT
new to lasers here and i have a couple of "curiosity" questions.  what is the maximum distance a laser can be noticeable, on the target, during daylight hours?  what distance do you consider "close" for cqb?
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on the laser the distance will be different. Using a 5 milliwatt red laser (maximum non-registered power) I can't see the dot beyond a handful of feet without using the iron sights to find it. Nearly useless.

Link Posted: 12/8/2002 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]
for outside daylight you will probably have to go to green laser. Red is dead after 10-15 yards. Of course green lasers are expensive
$600 and up.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Surefire is coming out with the L80, a green laser. [url=http://www.surefire.com/cgi-bin/main.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&sesent=0,0&strfnbr=6&pgname=L80]L80[/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I generally find lasers useless in daylight, but the red Surefire laser (L76?) has a 7 moa dot.  I haven't seen it, but 7 moa has got to be a lot more visible than the 1-2 moa dots from the units I already have.  MSTN says it's really bright and easy to see, and works well enough for close daylight work.  Personally, I am also waiting for the L80 green laser.  However, I wonder if the perceived extra brightness of a green laser, outweighs the color contrast.  What I mean is this - the Trijicon ACOG TA01NSN uses an amber reticle, which they claim is brighter/easier to see.  I find the color contrast on targets worse than when I use red reticles (don't they loose that amber reticle when pointing at sandy/tan targets like in IRAQ?).  I was watching SG-1, and the green laser used on their P90's put a dot on a target that was seen, but not very contrasting.  I think a red dot would have more contrast.  A green laser, on a green colored target, hmm....  I hope I am wrong about this, cause the green laser is my last hope for visible lasers, and I am REALLY counting on that big 7 moa dot Surefire uses.

What do you guys know/think???
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Guestimation on the price tag for the L80?
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Guestimation on the price tag for the L80?
View Quote

Haven't seen a price yet.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a super-tough question as it depends on a bunch of variables including: lighting conditions and target color.

Let me share my experience and I hope it help.

Full-sun with no clouds. Nothing. 5-10 yards. White target will really help. Black? Forget it. It really is possible to see out to 20 yards or so, but the laser is not valuable as an rapid aiming tool. i.e. visible, but not as quick as irons.

If you put shade or cloud cover into the mix. We are in Oregon, so its always cloudy, the range really increases, even if the sun is overhead. I have found a laser a great tool out to 20-25 under these conditions. Futher, depending on light level. At extended ranges under these conditions its a tossup as to which is quicker. Laser or irons.

Two things to think re: why a laser sight. Most shootings occur during reduced light conditions. I think latest NIJ is 75%, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

With a rifle, laser allows total heads-up sighting and improved vision. I'm not talking hip-shooting, but not having to line-up behind a site can be a huge advantage.

We have the red SureFire module on one of our house guns and it is nothing but fast, fast, fast...

Hope this helps...

-Z

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top