Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2008 12:26:57 PM EDT
Well I'm trying to decide between either the CProducts SS mags or the Magpul PMAG. Any specific pros/cons to either one. I currently own two PMAGS and their nice except they don't fit in my dual mag pouches that I have. Weight isn't much of an issue to me but reliablity is a major one. Also I want ones that can be kept loaded with no risk. The PMAGS I know they can be if the impact cover is left on.

Currently the mags I have are Okay, Parsons, Adventure Line, DSL Sanchez, Bushmaster (10 round), Pmags, and a no-name. Do you think I would be able to sell these to help fund the new mags?
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If those are mostly preban mags, someone in the people's republiks might be interested. The PMAG is a great mag.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The P's..
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
PMAGS...just go to youtube and watch the durability tests.  Go to the main PMAG thread in the new AR section.

Link Posted: 4/13/2008 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Lancer mags seem pretty good from what I have seen. but yeah Pmags! :D thats what I'd have in a free state a collections of Cp SS mags, Pmags, Lancer Mags, and USGI! :D
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#6]
get both.

/discussion

Link Posted: 4/13/2008 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to vote for PMAGS
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to vote for PMAGS
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I own both and am satisfied with either or.  I guess I just like mags so I own several of each.

I am confident that whatever I need to use my rifle for either the P-mag or C-Pro will get the job done!
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#10]
PMAGS!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Get both.

PMAG's and C-Prod Stainless Steel are my favorite mags. I like both the same but for different reasons.

PMAG's are by far the smoothest and most solid feeling mags I've ever used. BUT they are polymer, and a new product. Maybe Magpul's special polymer will last only a decade before it gets weak and brittle... or maybe they will last a century. Only time will tell. Meanwhile, they're the first mags I go to.

C-Prod's Stainless Steel mags function great and being made of stainless steel, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they can outlast your AR before they get too worn out.

Because of C Products and Magpul, I have relegated all my aluminum mags to the ol' steel ammo boxes for use as spares, just in case the aliens or zombies get out of control.

Either one you pick is a good choice.

But getting both is IMO better.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I really buy my mags in three ways.  2 mags a month no matter what. Sometimes 2 PMags, sometimes 2 SS CProducts, when bobby has a deal on elcheapo used GI mags I get five of them, refurbish with Magpul followers and new springs and Sandstrom finish and put them away.
My M-4 kit has 4 P Mags loaded and ready.  My Arms Tech has 6 20 round C Products Stainless loaded with Federal 62 grain ready to go.
I have a bag with 6 SS Cproducts Stainless with CMMG springs and stainless followers ready for any of my rifles.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Pmags are the way to go
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#15]
What is wrong with aluminum GI mags ? For 30-rounders, I use only GI mags with MagPul followers, and they all run 100% in all my rifles... this is, after all, the final arbiter of performance (not whether they look good or "feel smooth"). The whole "driving over a mag with a truck" thing is a gimmick IMHO. For me, the downside of the PMags is the potential for feed lip failures over time... I'm a MAC owner who suffered the pain of Zytel mags, so I am naturally cynical about plastic mags. I also shoot a lot of 3-gun, so a drop-free mag is important (I've seen more than a few PMags failr to drop free in matches).

As for the stainless mags, again, what is the value ? Extra weight ? How many people here have had corrosion problems with their GI mags ?

Sorry I'm not drinking the KoolAid... I just don't see what is broke with GI mags.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I absolutely love my 70+ C products mags. Mine are 100% reliable. If I buy more USGI mags, they will all be C Products. Most have Magpul followers except a few tight mags that I have green followers in.

I now have 31 P mags and I will be definitely buying nothing but P mags from now on. They are extremely smooth, tougher than hell, and (so far) perfectly reliable. I really like the feel of the mag. It feels great and that inspires confidence, that and several thousand rounds of perfect reliability.

Both are damn fine companies. Really it just comes down to cost and what you prefer.

I think, in true arfcom fashion, you should get both!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Well I think just to keep true with Arfcom fashion I'll get ten of both
I really don't think i can go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Well I think just to keep true with Arfcom fashion I'll get ten of both
I really don't think i can go wrong with either.

Just don't get hit by a truck while shooting with the C products mags! Your mag might get bent up and not work. Never mind that you might get bent up and not work.

I know if I was getting run over by a truck, I would be totally pissed that I didn't have my P mag in my rifle!

Link Posted: 4/18/2008 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Enough is wrong with USGI mags that the US Gov has spent millions in tax dollars investigating improvements and replacements.

During the recent dust test the USGI mag alone accounted for more failures than the TOTAL number of failures on all the other tested systems....

I understand your point about magazines and dirt... the magazine is the weak link in any mag fed weapon system, and for sure the combination of magazine, ammo and rifle on the M16 family is not perfect from a reliability perspective - thats why I use MagPul followers in all my GI mags. What I am struggling with is that I can't find any really good, hard data showing the PMag or stainless C Products mag is a statistically significant improvement over the GI mag. I'd be grateful if someone could point me to a source of such data - not video, or "it feels solid", or "it looks cool", but actual real statistically significant test DATA from the military or other reputable testing organization. It may exist, but I haven't seen any. If the PMag or stainless mags were to offer a significant improvement in soldier efficiency or survivability, I would like to think the US Military would be buying them by the millions by now (or am I hopelessly naive).

Being a 3-gunner, I am very open to new ideas and better moustraps if they really are better... make me a believer.

Quoted:
Drop a USGI mag compared to PMag (loaded or unloaded, feed lips up or down) and the PMag survives better.

I have been dropping my partially and fully loaded GI magazines in 3-gun matches for years. I don't recall one ever even losing a round, let alone breaking/splitting as some seem to think is routine. I don't drop them from helicopters, but often they drop off towers etc. I am shocked to hear that GI magazines are as flimsy as some claim, because this is markedly at variance with my experience.

Quoted:
Try doing this with a USGI mags and you will have different results...
Youtube PMag M249 video

Sorry, I missed the part where the OP said he wanted mags to run in his M249. As I don't own an M249 either, I'm not seeing the relevance of this video.

Quoted:
Saying you do not trust PMag material because of your Zytel experience is like not trusting a 2008 Toyota because of problems with your mom's 1977 Datsun.

Forgive my slightly tongue-in-cheek comment. I acknowledge that modern polymer technology has moved on since the early 80s, and that Zytels and Thermelts are not representative of PMag. I am a polymer chemist by education, and work in the polymer product field, so I am aware of the cool things plastics can do these days. However, some aspects of a plastic mag still concern me, notably feed lip flow/wear over time. I'm just not seeing enough upside with PMags to justify the downsides... yet.

Quoted:
And finally, anyone who shoots a match with mags they have not tested to see if they drop free deserves everything they get.

Now that is a little uncharitable. When I have seen PMags fail to drop free, it has been with shooters who I trust to check out their gear before a big match. My guess is that, like with many aspects of 3-gun gear, their PMags worked flawlessly in their hundreds of practice reloads, but on match day they got just a little more sticky.

I am not saying Magpul or C-Products have bad products, just that for most applications (certainly for mine) I remain to be convinced they bring enough upside to justify the hype and hero worship. But, hey, if people feel better about themselves with a PMag in their gun, more power to them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Pmags are the shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Pmags are the shit.

Well, there you go then... this is all the statistical evidence I need. If 10 more guys here can post the same comment, then our confidence level will soar towards 99.9% .
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pmags are the shit.

Well, there you go then... this is all the statistical evidence I need. If 10 more guys here can post the same comment, then our confidence level will soar towards 99.9% .

LOL!

One thing I have witnessed, was a carbine that lacked m4 ramps not feed a certain type of hollow point round with a standard USGI mag (standard follower too).  The tip would hit right below the ramps and it would stick.  With a Pmag it fed. Granted one case but, eh, it still happened.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:
Pmags are the shit.

h
But seriously, I might be new here but I'm not new to the AR and have tried every mag ever made ( I think ) . The Pmags are the best I have ever used.

Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes. Get both and see what you like. It's not like your gonna have too many now is it?

ETA:  I have a quantity of each. I like em both, but neither one really does anything so special I'd have a preference. I originaly was leery of the Pmags being plastic/poly...Glad to say my concerns were unwarranted. They look great and have functioned flawlessly. The extra $$$ keeps me from buying them by the gross, but for the 1/2 dozen I have, it's good for now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I've got 10 of each.  I've only run 10 to 15 full mags of each. Zero problems with either.  The next batch of mags I get will be P-Mags.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#27]
My 8 month old lab can't destroy a PMAG.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Well let me relate my experience I just had...I own 2 PMags and 1 CProducts...I loaded the 20rd CMag and pulled back the charging handle and locked it back...the top round in the mag popped half out of the mag...upon releasing the bolt, it did not fully enter battery...I pulled the handle back, and it did not eject the round, yet still fed a 2nd the same way...

That happened twice before I gave up on it and loaded the PMAG, which did not feed a round until the bolt began travelling forward, and easily ejected every time...
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top