Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/14/2003 4:29:15 PM EDT
Can someone give me some info on Cooper 30 rnd Mags? When were they made? Any good? Is there a site that has info on mags? Thanks
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:07:47 PM EDT
I avoid them. Some were good, some were bad. I just remember the expression: COOPERS = POOPERS! There are too many other USGI manufacture mags out there to have any in my collection. Someone else here may be able to tell you what to look for if you're considering buying some.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 4:18:07 AM EDT
If you have some time, check out the magazine FAQ topic. Lots of good info there. Its a good resource. I personally like the Cooper Industries magazines... the ones that are properly put together, that is. They are very, very well finished and function well. One has to be very "picky" when purchasing them. Check the mag body to make sure all necessary spot welds are there, and (if possible) make sure the mag fits and drops free from your rifle. Every magazine collector should try to get an example of a bad one and a good one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 1:44:03 PM EDT
The very first batch of mags I had for my first AR15 were all Coopers, purchased from three different places. Apparently they were dumped on the civilian market all at once. Found out later they were the only company that were so crappy they lost their govt contract. From the mag FAQ you will find that many had insufficient spot welds, only three on the front seam, three on the back seam. The ones I had appeared just fine, had all six spot welds front and back. But they would fail to feed the last few rounds. Somewhere around 25 rounds fired, the new rounds would come up tail low, the bolt ride over and dent the top badly. Culprit was weak mag springs. They might have been made usable with new springs, but back then NIW USGI 30's sold for $8 each, and no one kept spare springs. I traded them off for some Sanchez and Okay mags, and never had a problem with them. In fact, I still have those mags and they continue to function perfectly after all these years. ONLY IF all the welds are on the front and back seams (6 each), replacing the springs and followers might yield a good mag. And then thoroughly test them. Use them for your range mags until you are sure they are 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:12:27 PM EDT
Colt's floor plates will fit nicely on 3-weld Coopers. This makes them $40 Colt's magazines. Be sure you know what you're buying, the floor plate is not a guarantee. -- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:31:49 PM EDT
Thanks to everyone for the info, it has been very helpful. I bought 5 Coopers (NIW)for $50 shipped from a very respectable AR15.COM member. I have heard very little about Copper mags and was curious. I beleive I will be pleased. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:11:45 PM EDT
I beleive the latest models are the best ones, the first ones I heard where mostly destroyed by the military
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:59:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By digger658: Thanks to everyone for the info, it has been very helpful. I bought 5 Coopers (NIW)for $50 shipped from a very respectable AR15.COM member. I have heard very little about Copper mags and was curious. I beleive I will be pleased. Thanks again.
View Quote
Would you sell me one of the NIW Coopers for $20.00? I don't mind if it only has two welds, going in my collection. Thanks.. IM me if you will
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 11:01:14 AM EDT
Troy: I have a batch, probably 30 or so, ex-GI Cooper 30 round mags. MOST of them have six spot welds front & back. A couple have only three front & back. But I have found several that have EIGHT spot welds on the back. Three of them look "older" (original factory work?), while the other five look more recent. All of these came from a source who had "obtained" them while stationed at Ft. Campbell in the mid-80's. The mags had been stored since then, so I know whatever extra work was done on them was done prior to that time. Have you ever seen any Coopers with this modification? Would the military have done something like this, or were some mags returned to Cooper for modification? BTW, all of the mags, even the ones with three welds, have functioned flawlessly in my rifle. The ones with three welds will be range mags only, since I don't totally trust them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:31:45 PM EDT
Change the springs and followers!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 11:06:12 PM EDT
Top Top