Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2003 7:15:13 AM EDT
I heard a rumor that Colt is now calling and trying to collect compensation from numerous companies for some dough for using their name.  Has anyone heard this and if any light can be shed (if legal issue prevent this please state so and lock this baby up) on the issue.

edited to lose the sarcasm, and just post the question.  :)
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#1]
If they try it here we can rename the site to"current service rifle,dont by an out of spec colt.com"that will teach em.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#2]
800Mtrs, actually Colt is an Industry Partner and helps support AR15.com.  I don't know that your post is illegal but I doubt it's very helpful to the site.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#3]
In case you haven't noticed the name of this site is weaponforums.com.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Actualy, if anyone had a right to complain, it would be Armalite.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I heard that Colt has recently file for Chapter 7. Is that ture? If the company gets split up, who will pay the top dollar for the name at the auction?

ls
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In case you haven't noticed the name of this site is weaponforums.com.
View Quote

Yes but the name is still AR15.com on the internet.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#7]
If my post crossed a line I appologize, I did see that they were an industry partner before I posted.  Maybe I should have posted the wording a little different as I am CERTAINLY NOT bashing the company at all, I happen to think they are incredible firearms and really do not have a negative thing to say about them, and this was not a negative post, I was just inquiring as to if Colt was asking companies (such as ARFCOM for compensation for using any of their info, names, etc)  Sorry if it came across too harshly.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The current Armalite is not the Original..
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard it had something to do with Single Action Army pistols made by another company.

I forget the name of the company,  but they had a write-up in the NRA mag a few months ago.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

.........I was just inquiring as to if Colt was asking companies (such as ARFCOM for compensation for using any of their info, names, etc)  

View Quote

Ah...compensation for the use of intellectual property - I don't know about Colt but I damn sure would require compensation.  (I'm no fan of Colt but bidness is bidness !!)
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The current Armalite is not the Original..
View Quote

As if the current Colt is any more Original...

Which one is the original?

Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company

Colt Firearms Company

Colt Industries; firearms subsidiary: Colt's Inc., Firearms Division

Colt's Manufacturing Company, Inc

edited to add:  and besides, the patent rights ran out on the 'AR-15' long ago... compensation for what?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
800Mtrs, actually Colt is an Industry Partner and helps support AR15.com.  I don't know that your post is illegal but I doubt it's very helpful to the site.
View Quote

Illegal? The very idea that any non-profane comments or opinions should not be posted on a forum simply because a sponsor is not endorsed or viewed from a given point of view violates the very principle of having a forum in the first place.

Should we then only post comments that are "biased" towards Colt?

I enjoy this Forum immensely because of the fact that I can read other opinions on firearms, uncensored. If individuals cannot post their honest opinions because of manufacturer bias, then this board is completely useless. This is the principle upon which our great nation was founded.

Let the Forum remain free, or rename it "Pravda.com"
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't get me started on Colt. I am in the process of sending in my M4 upper for the 2nd time. The first time it had a VERY shallow/non-existant cutout for the charging handle latch. They covered it (or course) and got it back to me quickly. Took it out of the box, and they re-machined the cutout, but didn't follow the "shadow" of the first one. Now the upper is hideous and they are going to be shut down next week [banghead]. I will let you know how it all turns out, but so far it is VERY frustrating. I work in a machine shop, and would like to think I would notice tooling THAT dull. And if I didn't, and a product got out that was machined with dull tooling, I KNOW FOR A FACT I would NEVER do the 1/2 assed job they did.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Illegal? The very idea that any non-profane comments or opinions should not be posted on a forum simply because a sponsor is not endorsed or viewed from a given point of view violates the very principle of having a forum in the first place.

Should we then only post comments that are "biased" towards Colt?

I enjoy this Forum immensely because of the fact that I can read other opinions on firearms, uncensored. If individuals cannot post their honest opinions because of manufacturer bias, then this board is completely useless. This is the principle upon which our great nation was founded.

Let the Forum remain free, or rename it "Pravda.com"
View Quote

But "Pravda" means truth !!  However, there's little truth in Pravda.

Did you have a pont that wanted to make ??  Don't like my post ??  Then hang around for a time and I'll really make you unhappy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#15]
say what you will about colt, I like my SP1 and everything, but Colt is an ATF ass kisser.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Colt is nothing but a name. I cant believe people still think their stuff is better than anyone elses.
Pound fer pound.
I have heard complaints about quality from owners of every single different manufacturer. Probably more about Colt. Some Colt issues are not even considered a problem like all the large hole, small hole, sear block bullcrap.
Personaly, I will always buy GM, never FORD.
Go figure.
Heeeeeerrrrreeeee....horsey horsey horsey....
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Colt does own the actual TradeMark (registered) for "AR-15" and probably other variants. Its up to them to persue potential infringments.

AR-15.com re-directs to WilsonCombat.com

AR15.com is an actual company (LLC) with many domain names, such as weaponsforum.com, jobrelatedstuff.com, etc.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But "Pravda" means truth !!  However, there's little truth in Pravda.

Did you have a pont that wanted to make ??  Don't like my post ??  Then hang around for a time and I'll really make you unhappy.
View Quote

I think you know the point I was making. Pravda, in the Soviet era, would not publish anything not approved by the supreme Soviet. Yes, it means "the Truth" but it represented censorship in the extreme during that era. Similarly, by suggesting that saying anything bad about Colt on this forum was inappropriate to 800mtrs, you were repressing his opinion.  
In any case I do not believe the staff of this forum would censor any member for simply stating his opinion on a product, so long as there was no obscenity and it was not falsely injurious to someone.

You will not make me unhappy by expressing your opinions or views, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

It's not personal to me, that's just the way I see it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top