Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2004 2:50:32 PM EDT
I have seen Colt bolts for sale listed as 'USGI, stamped "MPC", Colt military take out bolts'

What exactly is a 'military take out'? Did they fail quality control or something?...... are they OK or to be avoided?

Any info about these is most helpful.

Howlie
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a complete "military take-out" Colt M16 bolt carrier assembly and am very pleased with it.

The term means that new, unfired military rifles have been parted out and the parts sold off.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Just replace the extractor spring with either a Wolff or a Colt HD spring.  The "take outs" are weak and I had to replace every single one of mine if I used it in a carbine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I changed mine out to a Wolff also.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:57:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Where can I get these "Take Out" bolts?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:00:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'd like to know as well. I got one from CDNN just before they ran out and would like to know where i can get some more.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Bravo Company has them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

RADDAD usually has some for sale on the EE - great deal going right now.  

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=231551
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I got one of the Colt take-out bolts from BravoCompany, it looks to be brand new, absolutely NO brass marks of any kind, stamped MPC. Fast shipping, too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#10]
If I may ask a quick question:

I have always seen in Army Tm's and elsewhere not to interchange bolts and carriers.  I've always thought that an odd warning on parts that are mass produced and assembled by the millions.

So I take it that is false and I can replace the bolt and carrier I have in my rifle right now, or use the same bolt and not a buy new one to save money when I buy another upper?

What about M16 bolts/carriers?  Can I use these on my AR15?

OK two quick questions hijaking

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have always seen in Army Tm's and elsewhere not to interchange bolts and carriers.  I've always thought that an odd warning on parts that are mass produced and assembled by the millions.

So I take it that is false and I can replace the bolt and carrier I have in my rifle right now, or use the same bolt and not a buy new one to save money when I buy another upper?

It is best to keep bolts with the barrels they were shot with, but you can swap carriers all you want. I only have one bolt carrier for my registered M16, and when I get additional uppers, I will keep using just the one full-auto carrier. But I will have a separate bolt for each upper.

As for using M16 bolt carrier assemblies in an AR-15, it is a grey area with no real legal definition. It's been hashed out repeatedly on this site, with no clear-cut answer. Just use your best judgement.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

OK two quick questions .

My apologies if I am hijaking this thread.

In a strictly legal standpoint, yes you can use an M16 carrier.  ATF does advise against it and caustions you against it as they don't want people without class 3 items to stock up on too many M16 parts.  Many highpower shooters are said to  use them, though.

As far as the volts, as long as niehter the barrel and the bolt are excessively worn, it should be fine to drop anew bolt in or use the existing bolt on a new barrel.  That is not to say you should keep two or more barrels and just use one bolt in between them when you switch them around.  Mate one bolt to one barrel and keep it that way, but a slightly used bolt can usually be used with a new barrel and vice versa with no problems.  Of course you could always buy a headspace guage just to staay on the safe side to make sure that the pairing isn't going to be dangerous to use.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks gents.
I only asked about M16 carriers because I thought they might be slightly more "durable"  as they are made to be used in select fire weapons.  That and they might be cheaper because they are surplus-as this post points out.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#14]
A lot of people like them because they are heavier, which supposedly is a plus for reliability.

Back when CDNN was blowing out the complete assembly new for $99 I bought several. With the addition of a Colt HD M4 extractor spring they have behaved perfectly-and I'm happy as hell with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top