Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2004 2:29:11 PM EDT
If it is true about Colt not going to sell LE rifles or make changes for civilians then why are people still trying to buy them? Also after all the AWB-BS and all the lets stand together why are dealers still buying Colt Ar's?
Should not this company be boycotted like you would do to Mike Moore for his movies or a store that would not allow you to carry CCW or sell ammo. I just can not understand why this practice of Colt is OK with so many people.
SCREW that BS because they make a superior weapon....Truth is they do not with machine and computer control. Most of you with a little practice can turn out your own AR with the same QC if not better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll sit this one out.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think it has a damn thing to do with RKBA. I has to do with production capacity being reached due to government sales. So I guess the choice is either A) take a gun away from US forces that need them to sell to a civilian to shoot targets or B) keep things the way they are and fullfill the needs of our troops.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#4]
OK if that is what the reason is NOT having enough for the troops....It seems to me that some place it was they felt there was no need for Civilians to have these cosmetic features. Again I might be wrong but from what some dealers are saying they will lose their ability to sell Colts if they try to sell LEO marked firearms to the public.
IN either case it does not affect me in NY but I find it strange that they did this after all the hard work fighting the ban. Was this the reason they are saying and is it in writing any place.
?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't think it has a damn thing to do with RKBA. I has to do with production capacity being reached due to government sales. So I guess the choice is either A) take a gun away from US forces that need them to sell to a civilian to shoot targets or B) keep things the way they are and fullfill the needs of our troops.

I could be wrong, but didn't Colt stop making a couple different handguns as well as the production ARs during the Klinton years to avoid any connection to the "evil" civilian sales issues?  Remember the pocket nine, or Pony?

I thought I'd read where they were trying to distance themselves from possible legal issues when everyone was trying to sue firearm manufacturers during the 90s.  Similar move by S&W, right?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I could be wrong, but didn't Colt stop making a couple different handguns as well as the production ARs during the Klinton years to avoid any connection to the "evil" civilian sales issues?  Remember the pocket nine, or Pony?

I thought I'd read where they were trying to distance themselves from possible legal issues when everyone was trying to sue firearm manufacturers during the 90s.  Similar move by S&W, right?

Colt Firearms Divisions have been traditionally money losing propositions, in the civilian sales market. How many times has Colt been in bankruptcy in the last 25 years? Three? Four?

Poor management combined with a UAW labor force, is a recipe for financial disaster pie.

And apparantly, Colt likes pie!  

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If it is true about Colt not going to sell LE rifles or make changes for civilians then why are people still trying to buy them? Also after all the AWB-BS and all the lets stand together why are dealers still buying Colt Ar's?Should not this company be boycotted like you would do to Mike Moore for his movies or a store that would not allow you to carry CCW or sell ammo. I just can not understand why this practice of Colt is OK with so many people.
SCREW that BS because they make a superior weapon....Truth is they do not with machine and computer control. Most of you with a little practice can turn out your own AR with the same QC if not better.

Colt did make the MT6400C available to us. It's as close to the real deal as it gets.
My 6400 upper is being be no-banned by Wes @ MSTN, only to emerge as a Colt based mid-length Recce carbine with a Douglas 1:7 16.5" barrel, KAC QD FS, 12" LaRue FF...

BTW: All my AR15's BM, LMT, and Colt's all run ONLY Colt BCG. They are the best.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#8]

I could be wrong, but didn't Colt stop making a couple different handguns as well as the production ARs during the Klinton years to avoid any connection to the "evil" civilian sales issues? Remember the pocket nine, or Pony?

No, Colt stopped making the Pocket Nine because they were successfully sued by Kahr for patent infringement (offset feed ramp). The Pony was discontinued because nobody was buying it, not because of any Government pressure.

Colt's bread and butter is its military sales, not the business of the civilian sector. 1000's of military contractors concentrate on military sales instead of civilian sales. All other AR manufacturers DEPEND on civilian sales because that's all the business they have; they'd better be responsive to the needs of the civilian consumer or they'll go out of business.  Colt will go down the tubes if they lose their military contracts. Anything that can compromise their military contracts should be eliminated. It's just good businessheselling any to the public because they weren't making any during their reorganization(s).

The above poster is quite right about the Colt 6400C - it is a righteous weapon and better (just a bit) than the offerings of RRA, Armalite and Bushmaster (spoken as a former owner of all)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top