Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2007 4:42:10 PM EST
Looking at buying a COLT 6920 or should I have an AR built? IF I buy the COLT I would want to put rails on it later, but can you get one built and match the quality ? No this is not a COLT or build bashing, just trying to get some info from experienced folks on here. I shoot them just not a builder, thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:06:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:19:44 PM EST
Just get the Colt now and drop in either a Knight's Armament M4 RAS rail or Samson Drop In or MI drop in, etc. or what ever brand you like later on.

I would recommend the Knight's M4 RAS because it have an internal bracket that locks to the barrel nut and they also have an optional SAS lower half piece that have the same locking bracket to have zero rail movement.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:28:03 PM EST
AR3, all of the problems and idiosyncracies of the KAC rail can be solved at a substantial savings using a LaRue rail. The KAC URX will be the heat when they come out, as well.

Aimless, an LE6920 isn't prized for it's accuracy, but rather its reliabilty and durability, which are unmatched. I avoided Colt for a number of years, but I wised up later.

If you want a Recce, SPR or similar, MSTN and Denny can hook you up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:37:38 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:46:06 PM EST
Get both you know you will
Buy the 6920 first.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:47:55 PM EST
On the contrary, the accuracy of the rifle will be most likely to be demonstrated in an arfcommers hands...cause it probably won't ever be shot except from a bench!

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:14:32 PM EST
6920 if you want an "M4".

MSTN or Denny for a build if you want a REECE, SPR, etc.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:37:43 PM EST
6920....no question.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:37:22 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:43:33 PM EST
Get a complete Colt 6920 and be done with it. This is what I am going to do once I can find one for under $1250
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:46:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

AR3, all of the problems and idiosyncracies of the KAC rail can be solved at a substantial savings using a LaRue rail. The KAC URX will be the heat when they come out, as well.

I agree with you, but the OP said that he was not a builder that's why I suggested the best drop in rail to him.

If he's going to have his gun built for him then I agree that the LaRue rail is one of the best, I have one on my middy Colt.

But he also said that he will add the rail later on so he'll have time to decide what he likes and it's more important just to get the 6920 now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 1:58:51 AM EST
I was in this situation a few weeks back. I decided to go with the middle ground (a rarity for me). I am assembling a complete upper to a complete lower. I will have comparable parts to the Colt, no LEO markings (a personal preference) and be a few hundred cheaper. Also, I REALLY wanted a 14.5 w/ a perm FH. So it's a win win win, but a little more trouble.

The build is not the hard part, it is the intense research that must be done to learn what is out there, what is possible, how much $ and where to get what.

If the 6920 looks to be what you want to end up with (i.e. you like LEO markings, the 16" bbl and the stock etc) then by all means, get one. They are (from my research) tough weapons. You won't save that much if you build, and seek to replicate the features of the Colt (4150 bbl, MP tested bbl/BCG, shot peened BCG etc etc).

Whatever you do, ENJOY your new addiction!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:04:10 AM EST
I went through the same dilemma a year or so ago and ended up getting a Colt 6721. I actually like it better than the 6920 I set out to find because I have no use (nor do I like the look) of the M4 profile barrel and I get by just fine with the 1/9 twist. I dropped in a Surefire M73 rail and added the standard Aimpoint/Larue, CTR, MIAD, Troy BUIS and I am MORE than happy with the performance. I am looking to build a SPR type rifle so I will be looking to JTAC or Denny in the near future but for a carbine, the Colts are hard to beat out of the box ;)
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:08:50 AM EST
If you can get the 6920 at a good price, get it. I have 2 Colts and highly recommend them. I am constantly buying parts and planning builds, but my Colt is my daily carry that I depend on. I carry the 6520 because I like the A2 and prefer the lightweight barrel.
Top Top