Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2003 6:02:04 PM EST
CMP float tubes - Can you notice the accuracy improvement? Has anyone done a before and after install, accuracy test? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:04:33 PM EST
At 300 and especially at 600 yards, yeah, I believe a DCM/CMP legal free float tube removes the influence a tightly pulled sling imposes on the barrel. I haven't tried before and after cases like you are asking, but I am a believer in them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:25:22 PM EST
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:28:24 PM EST
Most of us either bought or built our CMP rifles with FF tubes, rather than having used an existing upper.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:20:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/9/2003 9:20:49 PM EST by Green0]
yep same here sell yours and buy a DCM upper with the FF tube allready installed (much cheaper) You should see a dramatic improvement though (regular group size will be about 1/2 the size [the one I had tubed cost way too much but the groups shrank from 3/4in-1in to .25-.40inch at 100yds. And now you can use a sling (checkout [b]jarheadtop.com[/b] for the Jim Owens Hi-power sling video- High speed shit (after that I was shooting 1 in groups at 100yds prone and sitting [not national champion good but believe me that's good for me.] You need to know how to properly rig and use a sling and Jim will sell you a Turner and the video from the same place.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 3:58:36 AM EST
Basically, an un-floated AR is not a competative rifle. If you can exert EXACTLY the same sling force from shot-to-shot and match-to-match then you don't need to float your barrel. However, as Forrest Gump says: "One less thing to worry about." IMHO, the priorities in making an (issue) AR comptative are: 1. Two stage trigger. 2. Float the barrel. 3. 1:8 heavy barrel. 4. Buttstock wedge and cuff weights. 5. When you are shooting X-Ring size groups, go to 1/4 moa sights. Regards, Ray
Top Top