Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 5:00:54 PM EDT
I took my CMMG Rifle and 6 different types of ammo. One of Our ARFCOM Members wants to buy
CMMG when he returns from the Sand Box. I mentioned in another Thread that I'd do some tests this
weekend so he could see what the upper was capable of with good ammo.

This rifle has the CMMG Sierra upper with add ons of a stainless steel bolt and collar, forward assist,
anti jam charging handle, bolt hold open and bho magazines. The lower is CMMG that I built with a DPMS
Parts Kit. The hammer / trigger springs are standard DMPS. I've added a few do dads but no trick stuff here.

The scope is 4x - 30 Cheapo, The crosshair at 25 yards is about half as big as these small centers.
Not the most conducive to accurate shooting. I believe the scope cost me $22.00. This is basically the
rifle you can purchase (With a Mil Spec Lower) for the normal price of $550.00. I've kept it close to that
original idea of inexpensive as I can manage. What you see is what you can get from CMMG..... Minus
the Do Dads and add ons, that really do nothing to enhance accuracy.

Normally, I've always tried to keep a low profile at my usual range (SPPPC). I really like to shoot in peace.
Today, John my friend was there. I asked him to shoot the rifle so we could see how well it did with someone
very new to AR-22's and also with me. I'm currently well over 100,000 rounds through various AR-22's. John
hasn't fired a rifle except a couple times in the past 3 years. One of those times was another rifle I was testing.
John normally shoots only pistols....

When we were done shooting, we went into the lounge area of the range. There was another shooter there showing
his AR that he has a CMMG Conversion for. I tried but couldn't get into the conversation. So I went and took my
rifle out and held it in front of everybody. They stopped cold, just long enough for me to say "Hi, I'm Dave, SpecOps-13
from ARFCOM. I'm doing some shooting for CMMG. We continued to talk about the conversion and the dedicated
upper. Everybody liked them both. Anyway, I asked if the owner of the conversion ever came to ARFCOM. He does
and has been a member for several years. I told him I'd mention that I'd seen him at the range in my Thread / Post so
he could be sure he was reading the right one... In all the confusion, I forgot his name. So, You'll have to let me know
if you actually see this.  Oops, Sorry. Who are you again.

1st picture, the rifle (Sorry that the picture sucks), I took it with an old Sony, floppy Disk Camera...

Note, All shooting was at 25 yards.......

2nd picture was a warm up for john on top and me in the actual center. John kept 7 of 10 in the bull and I
had 10 of 10.

3rd picture, Top targets using Federal Pistol Match Ammo, No Surprise, haven't had any luck with this in a
rifle yet. Guess that's why It's Pistol Ammo... Center targets, Fiocchi SM 320 Super Match, Not bad at all.
Bottom targets, Eley Match, Not bad either...

4th picture, Top targets were done with Wolf Match Target. Not really bad either. Center targets, RWS
Subsonic. I didn't like this stuff.  Too light for my tastes. Bottom target, WalMart Federal Bulk,, so what can
I say.

5th picture, I had John shoot this target with Eley Match. He was having a difficult time getting comfortable
and lost count of how many he had on each target.. Thanks for shooting with me John. I know it was rough
just being thrown into it.

Dave / SpecOps-13

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesom writeup!

Did you experience any jams or problems during testing?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Awesom writeup!

Did you experience any jams or problems during testing?

I have the same upper and will tens of thousands of rounds down the pipe... I have had 3 FTF's, no jams or other failures. It's the most reliable rimfire firearm I've ever owned. I have Marlin's, Ruger 10/22's, and so on... All are considered reliable firearms; but, this upper from CMMG is more reliable than any of those other firearms i own.

The CMMG Evolution Uppers, redefine what it means to own a rimfire firearm.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:46:28 AM EDT
[#3]
The very first Wolf MT failed to chamber properly. I used the forward assist
to fully seat it. The RWS was to weak to operate the Bolt Hold Open. I only ran
1 magazine of 15 rounds. You can see every shot that was taken yesterday.
I didn't eliminate a single target from the time I was at the range and I just fired
without adjusting the scope. Where the rounds hit is where the scope was sighted
in for federal bulk. I hadn't really done any accuracy testing on this rifle prior to this
trip. I had been leaving that to Shadowcop.

I've been just shooting for reliability. My results of that have been astonishing. I can
count the failures that can be related to this rifle on the fingers of 1 hand over roughly
5,000 + rounds. Added, actually now that I look. Between 8500 and 9000 rounds.  Most
of the non relatable failures have been Federal Bulk that would not ignite. Some I hit with
the firing pin so many times that the case rim deformed.

Note: I was really tired or still asleep when I wrote this morning. What I originally had for
the number of rounds I've fired total didn't even make sense to me.. My Badd...
I'm glad I came back and re read it now that I've had More Coffee.

I hope this information helps you in selecting an upper or a rifle callahan318. This is an
exceptional product. If the quality and function of all CMMG's are similar, It's totally
Awesome. Eventually, I plan on sending this complete rifle to my Grandson. I wouldn't
risk sending him anything that wasn't as perfect as is possible.. It's that good... I wouldn't
recommend anything less to you.

Dave / SpecOps-13
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm glad to see Spec Ops and Norcaldustin report the handful of failures. I got to where I wouldn't post the failures anymore because it seemed unbelievable.
Out of 10K I've also had 3 FTE's. It's not only the most reliable rimfire I've ever shot, it's more reliable than my 5.56's.
Dave North
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree, Reliability testing of this rifle and all the accessories is
boring as crap. It's good that it's such a blast to just pull the trigger..
Waiting on failures is all but a waste of time... When they do
happen, it's a shock to my system.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm glad to see Spec Ops and Norcaldustin report the handful of failures. I got to where I wouldn't post the failures anymore because it seemed unbelievable.
Out of 10K I've also had 3 FTE's. It's not only the most reliable rimfire I've ever shot, it's more reliable than my 5.56's.
Dave North

That's where I'm at...

A lot of people dont believe how few failures I've had until I let them borrow it for a couple days at a time... They bring it back and have nothing but good things to say and have had no complaints or mentions of failures.

Frankly, Like you, I've had more failures out of my 5.56 Daniel Defense M4 (Arguably among the finest AR's ever produced).... Which is sad.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the write up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Guys .... These Boys aint Bullshittin I FINALLY got my CMMG upper out yesterday and these uppers will eat a group w just about anything you throw at them. I had problem w 1 kind of ammo and that was it (Golden Eagle Blue Box) ...everything shot at a minimum good and some much much better than others.
Shadow will attest Im a rimfire ammo whore If its out there .. its probably in my range bag He's just jealous!!!!
It was Shot through a CMMG M4LE .22 upper w a P.A. 1-4 Scope sitting in a P.A. one peice mount sittin on top of a DPMS Lower w Magpul CTR stock

I'll list the brands of ammo I shot and if anyone has any ?'s feel free to ask and I'll share what I experienced w it. Everything was shot at 25 yds
Remington Golden Bullet Bulk-   In the middle
Golden Eagle- Blue Box - Will be used by my bolt gun waste of time trying
Fed Auto Match Bulk-   One of the best performers
Armscor Prec-.    One of the Best performers
Federal Gold Medal-  Good-better performers
CCI Mini Mag-  Better
Green Tag -  One of the Best
Fiocchi 320-  Better
Fiocchi 340-  Better
Wolf M.E. -Better ... Not gonna waste it Blowing away w this thing Shoots much better in my Savage
Wichester T22-   Good to Better
Winchester Super X 1330  FPS-  Squirrels better run and hide You WILL end up wrapped in bacon and on  my grill
Aquila Super Max- Shoots good .... not very reliable on impact spot   This is some Hot Stuff though
Aquila Stnd Vel-  Good to better Performer Groups good
CCI Standard Vel- one of the best Performer
Remmy Sub Sonic-Threw the rest of the box away Worthless thats 3guns this shits failed to perform in
Gonna order or go to Whittakers and get some more various brands and do another "try all" sometime soon. If theres anythign particular you wanna know about let me know Ill tyr and get it and do a lil report on it
Sorry Spec if you feel I kinda jacked your thread ... just trying to back you and Shadow up on how well these suckers perform
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Customtle: Nice report, Thanx for the back up... You do have more variety
of ammo than I have. It won't last long, better buy stock in it while you still
can... Nice Carbine, set up and range report..

I know it can be a major undertaking putting it all together to post here...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#11]
No Whitaker's gun shop has got more inventory than many stores combined with good prices.  I quit going to gun shows because Whitaker's has more of what I'm interested in with great customer service and prices.  Its probably a good thing I don't live closer, between Whitaker's and all the good places to eat in that area I usually drop quite a bit of coin.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Customtle

Ammo Whore!

Thanks for the write up and sorry I couldn't make it up there. Had to have some wife time.
Dave
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top