Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2003 10:14:05 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I was over at CMMG's website checking out some barrels and what not and I came across the Pre-Ban M4A3, now, I'm not too familiar with CMMG, but I do understand they make superb barrels. Any opinions on this rifle? I'm thinking about picking it up, slapping an Aimpoint on it and a chopped down carry handle and perhaps a KAC RIS/RAS system. Now, they price is pretty damn good, so, if anyone has any insight, or thoughts, please, let me know.

Thanks,

Erik
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I am pretty sure that CMMG does not make their barrels. Last time I spoke with em they were selling DPMS barrels, which are probably as good as any of the manufactures, though not match grade. You can build a preban configuration rifle only if you build it on a preban receiver. And the ATF is actually pretty clear that this receiver has to have been made into a rifle before the ban. YMMV, but you should check out the rules to play by before you jump into building a rifle that might not be legal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
dmuldrew is correct.  They are DPMS barrels.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The DPMS upper is a full spec 4150 steel (Only Colt and Bushmaster use this as its milspec) M4 style feed ramps, 1/7 twist chrome lined barrels and a true M4 profile but the front sight is cast and not forged.

The only things I have heard bad were about some bolts and the front sight tower.  If you want a folding front sight its a non issue and you might want to use someone elses bolt and carrier.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
dmuldrew, yes, I'm clear on the ATF's rules. I have a complete Colt SP-1 Carbine here, and it will eventually be built into something. I know the law.

My mistake on the barrels. I'll have to look more into that.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top