Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/2/2005 1:56:12 PM EDT
I use Butches Bore cleaner followed by Kroil then Hoppes oil to clean my bolt action and semi auto rifles. I also use a touch of grease on the surfaces that rub metal on metal, but recently I have been hearing a lot of good things about CLP instead of grease or oils.

What should I use?
Should I use Butches BC then CLP instead of Kroil, Hoppes oil and grease?
What CPL should one use for their rifles? CLP ,4,7, 12...? And what's the difference?
www.botac.com/breakfreeclp.html

What do you think about Break Free Bore Cleaner;
www.botac.com/breakbcborcl.html

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:05:08 PM EDT
im real sure that the different numbers just state the size bottle your getting.

on most of my rifles i just use clp on everything with an occassional patch with hoppes#9 down the bore.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:13:11 PM EDT
Saw this post under AR Discussion and thought you might want to read through it. Some discussion on cleaning products.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=245362
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:49:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TraumaLevel1:

CLP ,4,7, 12...? And what's the difference?

This explains the size and product number relationship.

Link to main Break-Free site.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:56:03 AM EDT
Don't bother with grease.
I never had much luck with Kroil... it might work well as a creeping oil (rust penetrator) but it doesn't do much for removing carbon fouling.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:32:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:
Don't bother with grease.
I never had much luck with Kroil... it might work well as a creeping oil (rust penetrator) but it doesn't do much for removing carbon fouling.

I dont use the croil to remove fouling. I use it for the oil penetration.
I use the Butches for carbon and copper
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:06:22 PM EDT
I use Break-Free CLP, both in the squirt bottle and the spray kind, seems to work great!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:05:40 PM EDT
For some reason,I don`t like the Break Free in the spraycan.I don`t know if it`s just me but the spray smells way nastier than the squirt bottle.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:28:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By deadboi77:
For some reason,I don`t like the Break Free in the spraycan.I don`t know if it`s just me but the spray smells way nastier than the squirt bottle.

It does
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:33:15 AM EDT
Personally, all I use is CLP. Copper solvent every couple of thousand rounds or so, but not very often.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:38:34 AM EDT
I only use Kroil when the barrel is really fouled.

Otherwise I use Brake Cleaner and Clenzoil for cleaning, CLP gels up in the cold.
For the Bolt and Carrier I use Slip-2000 for cleaning it, and Militec for lube
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:16:25 PM EDT
Kroil is good if you got rust. I use BFCLP and rub down sometimes with Kroil. I use Kroil in an industrial setting and its hard to beat. For guns though if I've been in water etc... Kroil saturated or rust only.
I'm just trying grease on my 1911's so I cant say
Top Top