Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2005 6:16:51 AM EDT
Hi to all!

First: I´ve read the big, bad BUIS thread and any thread concerning BUIS´s.

I get my RRA 16" Middy hopefully soon. Its a flattop.

My final aim ( at this moment, this may change, as I shoot and handle the gun, as its my first AR ), is a Eotech ( with AA batt ) and a BUIS.

But for familiarization and testing the reliability I want the Eotech later ( financial reason, too ).

Should I buy the detach CH, which is ~ € 200 here in Europe!!! ( to not use it later maybe! )

Or buy sturdy folding BUIS, to shoot the gun, until ready for the optics.

At the moment I prefer the Troy.

The GG&G MAD seems sturdy, but I would rather buy the Brownells four aperture sight ( Am spirit arms?? ), the attachment to the rails seems not so good as the GGG, but I like the .100 and .125 aperture choices!!! ANYBODY TRIED THIS??

ARMS 40L is small aperture up first ( bad! )

GG&G A2 seems high and bulky. Same for BMAS, AMEETEC, and Midwest Ind. ( Are these the same, or so close, like one copied from the other ?)

YHM flip up rear has plain ugly and protruding screw.

So I think I should buy the Troy, same plane, two apertures. Ist this sight sturdy enough for some shooting ( not combat conditions, but the occasional bump at the range or transport )?

Is it possible to deploy it with the big Aperture up first?

WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND:

Det CH, or which BUIS from the beginning?????

( to make matters worse, there are also the LaRue and YHM standing BUIS´s )

Thanks in advance, H
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:45:36 AM EDT
If you're positively planning on getting an EOTech in the future, I'd get the folding BUIS.

The carry handle won't do much good with the EOTech mounted, unless you cut it down.

Just my opinion.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:56:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 6:57:13 AM EDT by Combat_Jack]
The ASA BUIS SUCKS MAJOR ASS.

The Troy flip sight was built for war, and it is the BEST BUIS currently on the market.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:00:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 7:03:22 AM EDT by JoseyWales]
I have the ARMS on all of my flat tops. If you really think the large aperature makes a difference, you can file off the protrusion slightly so that it can be locked at the ready. Personally, I think the wide aperature is generally a little big anyways for range shooting; and my eye is close enough to the sight that the small aperature works just fine. If you were ever close in enough on a target, perfect sight alignment may not matter anyhow. You wouldn't want to use a rifle at that point anyways, if you had a choice.

Another option is the ARMS 40A, which has the large aperature up first.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:42:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JoseyWales:

Another option is the ARMS 40A, which has the large aperature up first.

As does the ARMS #40.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:03:53 AM EDT
I had the same questions a week ago. I went with the Troy buis to go on my RRA mid length. I am very pleased with this setup although I have not had the chance to shoot it yet. I plan on adding an Aimpoint but I am in no hurry. I am going to use the Troy buis as my primary sight for a while.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:30:01 AM EDT
Thanks for the great infos!

I´m gonna order the Troy´s. Also thanks for the info about the ASA sight, I have that knack for aperture sizes from .100 ( .093, Marble´s and Williams ) to .125 ( Williams "Buckbuster"?? ) to .150 ( not tried, but should be quick ).

Whats right for hunting can´t be too wrong for ... general use!

One further question: I know the weight for the Detach Carry Handle ( or can look it up in the BUIS thread ). What is the weight penalty for A 4 ( flattop ) and Detach CH versus straight A 2 configuration?

Thanks to all, H
Top Top