Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2005 12:18:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]
so is this the mount that would come with a larue spr/nightforce combo?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
NOW IT IS.

WES GRANT
MSTN.BIZ

Wes, are the rear locking levers availble as a retorfit to existing LT mounts?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dupe...

Do ya think that maybe LaRue wants ALL thier dealers to advertise the new and improved version?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dupe...

Did ya also fail to realize that it might be advertising?

My point exactly. This is a technical forum. One dealer has already pointed out the new mount. Is that not enough? If this is an advertisement then post it in the EE. What is this site coming to
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dupe...

Did ya also fail to realize that it might be advertising?

My point exactly. This is a technical forum. One dealer has already pointed out the new mount. Is that not enough? If this is an advertisement then post it in the EE. What is this site coming to

Thats why I edited my post, but my suggestion would be for you to move on instead of nit pickin here.  If it truly bothers you IM one of the moderators instead of peeing in Wes's cheerios in front of everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'D LIKE TO PROPOSE A NEW MOTTO FOR LARUE TACTICAL:

"SEMICONDUCTOR QUALITY AT BLACKSMITH PRICES"

WES GRANT
MSTN.BIZ

More like "semiconductor quality, at superconductor prices"
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:52:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

JOHN-SOMETHING,

YOU'RE KINDA NEW AROUND HERE, AREN'T YOU? WOULD YOU MIND SHARING WITH US WHO HAVEN'T HAD THE CHANCE TO GET TO KNOW YOU THE BASIS FOR YOUR OPINION?

[YES, I EDITED MY INITIAL RESPONSE RATHER HEAVILY.]

WES

Does it make a difference if someone is new here? And by the way I'm not new. It's not like I was born when I joined this forum.

You don't understand my previous post? It was a spin-off from what you said in the first post at the top.

Having a negative attitude toward what I said previously isn't all that surprising. Since you are advertising this new scope mount for Larue, and I said something that went against the grain, it is expected for you to automatically discount what I say. It is easily explained why this phenomenon occurs. A "sales person "and a "person" are two totally different attributes, I being the person, am automatically wrong if it involves me questioning the expensive product you are trying to sell. No matter how expensive something is, its always a good deal as far as the sales person is concerned, especially because money is exiting my pocket and entering his.

If anything, my "semiconductor quality at superconductor prices" statement rings more true than your "semiconductor quality at blacksmith prices" statement. My basis for this is:you are trying to sell something so you will make it sound as interesting, cheap, and important for me to buy as possible. When you say "semiconductor quality at blacksmith prices" you make it sound like you are getting a whole lot more than your actually paying for, which in reality isn't true. Maybe if the larue mounts were cheaper you could make a statement like "semiconductor quality at blacksmith prices", but at this point its kind of misleading.

One last thing, if your getting a semiconductor quality product (larue), what do you think the larue is actually worth if your only paying blacksmith prices right now? Because the reality is, the more you charge for a product that has close alternatives that are cheaper, the more people will buy the cheaper alternative. Economics 101. I am no way saying people will stop buying larue altogether, but I can say for sure more people own the cheaper alternatives today, and more people will own the cheaper alternative next year.

*edit* I hope your the type of person that treats people face to face (not only on the net) like the M&A salesperson, you know, the one that eventually got choked out by a customer.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:55:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am no way saying people will stop buying larue altogether, but I can say for sure more people own the cheaper alternatives today, and more people will own the cheaper alternative next year.

To me it looks people are buying ANYTHING Larue puts out these days. If they made a Tactical Toothpick that had throw levers, people would buy it just for the laughs!

I'm not aware of a cheaper alternative to the Larue SPR mount that does the same thing at lower cost. Finding AN alternative is hard enough, since very few mounts have the forward offset, and if they have that, they don't have throw levers, and if they have throw levers, they don't come with 30mm rings.

I know of cheaper alternatives to the handguards, but in all fairness every top quality handguard is in the 200+ dollar range.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:47:27 AM EDT
[#12]
If you think the Larue mount is expensive you need to re-evaluate your carreer path.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:01:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Let the JV use the cheaper mounts, but the Varsity plays with LaRue.hug.gif
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:22:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:39:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I have two questions:
How much rail space does this mount take up. In other words, if you take a ruler and measure from one end of the base to the other, how long is it ?
I like the idea of having a traditional riflescope to use on occasion with my ARs. At present, I don't have an AR that I leave the scope on, but one of the beauties of having a rail and mounts like the LaRue is the ability to switch around optics to suit your present needs.
Two of my ARs have a KAC RASII and I am particularly interested in whether or not this mount is short enough to mount on the rail space between the Troy BUIS and the RASII hump. It would be nice if I could use the mount/scope with all my ARs.
The second question is about eye relief. I have a spare scope lying around with a 4" eye relief. Would I need the regular SPR mount or the extended eye relief SPR mount ?

Thank You
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:26:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

SOVEREIGN AND PETAGUNNER,

SO C4i POSTED SOMETHING ABOUT THIS MOUNT ALREADY? THAT IS NEWS TO ME, BUT I SEE YOU ARE CORRECT. I NEVER READ ANYTHING HE SAYS, ANYWAY.

WES

Wes, no big deal.  Doesnt bother me at all.  If folks around here get thier panties in a wad over a dupe they obviousley dont have enough to do.  I think they just need to STFU and let the moderators do thier jobs.

Anyways, If I was LaRue I'd be happy that my dist. are doing a good job offering the "improved" version to the masses.

Looks great!  Now I just need a new upper to put one on!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
To me it looks people are buying ANYTHING Larue puts out these days. If they made a Tactical Toothpick that had throw levers, people would buy it just for the laughs!

Not true for me.  I have a GG&G AN/PVS-14 mount that I would not replace with a LaRue.  Why?  The NV should generally be head-mounted and, occasionally, moved to the carbine.  The GG&G mount is detachable; the LaRue is not.  No LaRue here.

I have a KAC AN/PEQ-2 mount.  Given the ease of slewing the aiming point into the center of the Aimpoint dot on remounting it is not cost-effective to me to sell the KAC and replace it with a LaRue mount, just because of LaRue's superior zero repeatability.

For Aimpoints and ACOG's, LaRue is the clear winner because of repeatability of zero.

The jury is still out on ARMS mounts on Surefire 9 volt weapon lights.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't think a lot of people have a true appreciation for what kind of work goes into these type of products. I work as a product developer myself. It's my job to engineer new products and then work out how to make them economically viable to come to production. I can tell you that the LaRue products are worth the money you are paying. They are not ripping people off.

I bet if LaRue were to tell you what kind of tooling cost they were paying to set up all the machinery to make these products it would blow you away. Especially because these are made in the USA and not in 3rd world countries like China. The reason they have to ask the prices they are asking is so that they can cover all of that start up tooling cost. Otherwise they would probably LOSE money.

Now, several years down the road, when they've recovered their tooling costs and they only have to pay material costs and minimal manufacturing cost, the price of the mounts and rail systems will go way down. But of course by then they will have even newer and better rail systems and mounts on the market that everyone will want that LaRue has not yet recovered tooling costs on. Nobody will want the "old" stuff anymore. And the cycle starts all over again. And there will be more people who don't understand the product development cycle saying how the new stuff is too expensive, look at how cheap the old stuff is.

If you think the LaRue stuff isn't worth it then fine, but I use some of their products and I can tell from my job experience that they are well worth it IMHO, and very well made.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Just thought I'd mention that I spoke with Joe at Larue today. It seems that Larue intends to offer their mount with and without the lock on it. (At least that's how they are doing it at the present) He explained to me that if you order an SPR direct from their websight, they will send you a mount that does not have it, because  the lock is intended for military use, and has to be specially requested.

So then the lock appears to be an option that doesn't necessarilly mean their previous mounts without it are now obsolete. He explained that having it on there prevents accidental disconnects, but is also one more device out in the field to have to fiddle with during battle.

Personally, I prefer iit with the lock. Do I want to hang with the civies, or make believe I'm keeping company with the big boys?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#24]
"AS FAR AS I AM AWARE, THE RAS II BRIDGE PRECLUDES THE CORRECT MOUNTING OF ANY MAGNIFIED OPTICS ON A FLAT TOP OTHER THAN THE TA01NSN AND TA-31."

Yes, I guess you are right. Using a tape measure, I get 3 7/8" of rail space from the hump to the front edge of the BUIS. That is a shame.
I can't see why a scope couldn't be mounted using conventional rings in that amount of space, in fact, if the LaRue mount was maybe 1/8" shorter it would fit. Oh well, I guess I am beating a dead horse.

I already have a TA31F in a LaRue mount. It fits fine. I just wanted more magnification on occasion.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I have seen multiple height SPR mounts.  Can you custom order a height like 1.4" instead of 1.5"?  I have seen taller versions to clear a PEQ-2 but I want a slightly lower than standard mount because I am weird about optic height.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top