Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2012 8:48:16 PM EDT
I'm a new noob to AR 15 platform and i have a question. Why is it that some charging handles are hard to pull than others?? Any recommendations on how to make the charging handle a little more pull friendly especially when using the left hand. Thanks..
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The buffer spring may be a little tight if its new. Shoot it for a while and it may loosen up. That or hit the gym....
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#2]
They tend to smooth out and get easier with use. A longer latch can help with getting an easy purchase. Of course keep everything lubed. But mostly shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They tend to smooth out and get easier with use. A longer latch can help with getting an easy purchase. Of course keep everything lubed. But mostly shoot it.

BCM mod 4 would give you some extra leverage. They work great.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Mostly due to new parts or no oil to slick it up.

Rub a bit of oil on the outside area of the charging handle where it slides into the upper. keep shootin the rifle. in time it will work out.

2 of the best handles to upgrade to are, Vltor/bcm Gunfighter and the Rainer arms raptor. they have nice strong latches and give plenty of area to grip it well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:16:51 AM EDT
[#5]
A am a Southpaw as well and the only thing I can suggest is to make sure you are grasping the "T" of the charging handle with the index finger and the middle finger AND APPLYING EVEN FORCE WITH BOTH FINGERS as you draw the CH fully to the rear.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:25:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Since you are a lefty you might look into Rainer Arms Raptor CH it is setup for ambidextrous use.  I prefer the BCM Gunfighter and I hear they are developing a left handed one.  Also lube the changing handle that touched the inside of the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#7]
In relation to the discussion above, I'd like to ask if it's ok for the charging handle to rub against the top of the cheek weld in a UBR?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:49:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Work out... Charging handle should never be hard to operate unless gun is broken.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#9]
FYI, it is harder to charge a rifle with a carbine length receiver extension than rifle length receiver extension. Other than that they should be about the same.
Dustin
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Since you are a lefty you might look into Rainer Arms Raptor CH it is setup for ambidextrous use.  I prefer the BCM Gunfighter and I hear they are developing a left handed one.  Also lube the changing handle that touched the inside of the receiver.

Badger Ordinance has an ambi charging handle as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In relation to the discussion above, I'd like to ask if it's ok for the charging handle to rub against the top of the cheek weld in a UBR?

That happens. As long as it does not jam the operation of the the handle, or you dont mind rub marks, It is fine.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#12]
BCM Gunfighter Mod4 handle is the answer to the problem.

The only downside is that then you'll want them on all ur guns.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That happens. As long as it does not jam the operation of the the handle, or you dont mind rub marks, It is fine.

Is there a charging handle in the market that is deigned to clear the cheek weld Of the UBR so it won't rub? Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a charging handle in the market that is deigned to clear the cheek weld Of the UBR so it won't rub? Thanks.

Its a fairly standard object. All i can say is all of my charging handles clear for the most part. If i try to make them scrap they can slide over the stock a little but doesnt effect function at all. My UBR and Gunfighter do not seem to have the problem your having.

EDT: just checked it. Mine does rub. But its not a problem. Its just part of the system. It really only rubs a lot when I one finger it. Not really any thing you can do to adjust it. Except machining your own special charging handle.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the feedback!!!~
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The BCM Gunfighter lefty is in limbo so I just broke down and bought a Raptor. It's really nice.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
FYI, it is harder to charge a rifle with a carbine length receiver extension than rifle length receiver extension. Other than that they should be about the same.
Dustin

Really? My rifle length feels probably 2X as stiff as my carbine, course the rifle is unfired, lubed but not worn in, the carbine is well worn, but does have a relatively new spring. I guess this lends more credence to: shoot it, it'll get better.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top