Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:32:12 PM EDT
Perhaps a dumb question, but I thought I'd ask just to clear up my curiosity, if you have a CCW is it legal to carry a pistol-style AR since they fall under that class of weapon? Obviously you'd need a pretty baggy overcoat to conceal one , I was just wondering if it was "legal"?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't see why not, because you're the one with the license to carry it.

The pistol isn't licensed to be carried.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#2]
i know in ky your ccdw means you can carry any kind of deadly weapon
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I would imagine it varies by state - here in AZ you can CCW any weapon you like, even Class 3.
Why you would want to is beyond me, though, as I even find my G27 a burden (don't even carry a spare mag). Are you expecting WW3 ?

For a definitive answer, why not take your AR pistol to the local police station, slap it down on the counter and ask what they think ?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest you check UT's laws yourself instead of relying on he-said she-said stuff on the internet.  There are too many "experts" who will give you the wrong advice.

As far as I can tell (without hiring a lawyer to proof-read PA law), an AR pistol is classified as a pistol, and can be carried just like a Glock 17 (again, this is PA law, NOT UT).
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#5]
My intention here was to clear up some curiosity, I don't have any plans on carrying an AR  anywhere but the range.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]
check your local laws and the pistol forum.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would imagine it varies by state - here in AZ you can CCW any weapon you like, even Class 3.
Why you would want to is beyond me, though, as I even find my G27 a burden (don't even carry a spare mag). Are you expecting WW3 ?
quote]

In MN at least, it would be leagal. I have one on my list for a center consol gun for the truck.

as far as why? well...becuase I can.hereit dosnt have to be WW3(tho it could be,shifty CanadianshenJust think what might have happened if one of the customers in that bank were carrying an AR pistol when the N HollyWood shoot out began.  would be one hell of a blow against the librals saying there is no reason for Civis to have Mill style weapons and no good can come of it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i know in ky your ccdw means you can carry any kind of deadly weapon

Damn right. Grenades, battle axe, Uzis, its all good.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#9]
You may want to check the following site:  

packing.org
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#10]
In WV a CCW must generally be a weapon that is usually used for self defense.This has been brought about by the DNR because of the high numbers of poachers.Because of so much national forest land in some parts of the state, carrying a 8" barreled, scoped .44 magnum is not looked upon favorably as a CCW by the DNR.

When I had a gun shop open I would sometimes help teach a class for obtaining concealed carry permits. You would not believe how many people intended to "carry" a weapon as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
It depends on the state law.  VA for example does not allow the carry of a pistol that can carry more than 21 rounds.  I guess a 20 round mag would be ok then.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:45:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It depends on the state law.  VA for example does not allow the carry of a pistol that can carry more than 21 rounds.  I guess a 20 round mag would be ok then.

Not to mention easier to hide under the dash.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#13]
As others have stated, it varies by state.  I've heard that some states require the permit holder to state, on the application, what they will be carrying and then restrict them to that.  Some states require that the weapon be concealed at all times (I think I read that Ohio requires concealed carry, but then requires open carry while in a vehicle).  The ability to conceal places some practical restrictions on what can be carried (unless you want to get creative).

TN simply states that the permit is to carry handguns (any handgun or any number) and doesn't bother with the word "concealed".  Concealed is advised, though, to avoid extra attention from the more enthusiastic police officers or excess cell phone calls to the police.  I've heard of one incident at a gas station where a woman flipped out and started screaming for someone to call the cops, because a permit holder stepped out of his pickup and started pumping gas while carrying a handgun in a normal belt holster.  I wonder how she would have reacted if he had been carrying an AR pistol in a tactical holster (pictures of one, made for an M4, have been posted in the AR pistol forum, but it is apparently out of production)?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:18:33 AM EDT
[#14]
What does it say on your license? Mine reads, "PENNSYLVANIA LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS" ...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What does it say on your license? Mine reads, "PENNSYLVANIA LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS" ...

"firearms", as defined in PA law, do not include shotguns, rifles, SBS's, SBR's, or AOW's.  The word "firearm" in PA code refers ONLY to handguns.  As far as I can tell, and AR pistol is a "firearm" as defined by PA code, therefore it is legal to carry with a CCW.

A PA CCW does NOT allow carrying rifles and shotguns.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"firearms", as defined in PA law, do not include shotguns, rifles, SBS's, SBR's, or AOW's.  The word "firearm" in PA code refers ONLY to handguns.  As far as I can tell, and AR pistol is a "firearm" as defined by PA code, therefore it is legal to carry with a CCW.

A PA CCW does NOT allow carrying rifles and shotguns.

"firearms" as defined in Pennsylvania`s Uniform Firearms Act--a very limited definition that only includes handguns with barrels less than 15", rifles with barrels less than 16", shotguns with barrels less than 18" and all guns that are less than 26" long overall.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#17]
If I'm not mistaken, Virginia law also restricts what can be carried by playing with definitions (magazine capacity, etc).  

TN issues a "Handgun Carry Permit".  If it's a handgun, it's legal.

There was an attempt, several years ago, to expand the TN permit to cover knives and longarms (would have helped with some issues concerning legal transport in TN), but HCI suddenly had another shooting incident to harp on in the national media, and the bill sponsor withdrew it.  Since then, the revisions (and attempted revisions) have mainly dealt with where the permit is valid (in TN, you can easily be in a prohibited area without knowing the area is prohibited).
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I know in Ohio, it's a concealed pistol permit technically, not a general concealed carry license.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#19]
In fla, if it's a legal weapon + concealed, then you can carry it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Can you? Probably.

Why would you want to? Who knows....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I've thought about one to carry in my car under my CCL since NC allows handguns only. A concealed rifle is illegal in NC, even with a permit. However, state law describes a handgun as a "firearm with a short stock, designed to be fired with one hand". I could see a prosecutor challenging an AR pistol as being a little heavy and awkward to be designed to be fired with one hand. I might beat it, but don't want to go to court to try.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
In WV a CCW must generally be a weapon that is usually used for self defense.This has been brought about by the DNR because of the high numbers of poachers.Because of so much national forest land in some parts of the state, carrying a 8" barreled, scoped .44 magnum is not looked upon favorably as a CCW by the DNR.

Hope they don't look down on a 7.5 inch or 5.5 inch .44 magnums with no scope those are my camping CCW's!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope they don't look down on a 7.5 inch or 5.5 inch .44 magnums with no scope those are my camping CCW's!

If I'm carying my 6" Dan Wesson .44 Magnum, I'm normally carying openly, although in town it does on occation solicit comments.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top