Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/14/2004 8:37:45 PM EST
Just came back from Wally World and got 200 rds of CCI Mini Mag 22 Long Rifle rounds. Wow! This stuff is expensive. $4.50 for 100 rounds. What's so special about this ammo? Got it because I want to try it on my Ruger 10/22 and my AR 22 upper. Just read a tread about Mini Mags work great on 10/22 with jamming problems. Any tips on what cheap 22 ammo I should use on my 10/22 that works good?

Thanks for the info,
556man
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:39:30 PM EST
CCI Mini-Mags are great
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:45:29 PM EST
I like ;

Mini-Mags, Yellow Jackets, and Wildcats for plinking, and Stingers for hunting.

Don't use Lightning or Thunderbolt, especially in a semi-auto. Nasty powder, sticky residue that will gunk up the action.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:41:36 AM EST
About 10 to 15 years ago I came to the conclusion that Mini-mags are probably the most reliable-feeding .22s you can get. Even the HPs feed better than some other brands of solids in some guns. I have never, ever had one fail to feed or go bang. I haven't tested every single .22 round (or gun!!) ever made, but quite a few. Nothing else has been 100%. If you can call .22 ammo SHTF.....this stuff is it. To be fair, I haven't done any recent comparison testing.

True, they're a bit more $. And let's face it - who uses .22lr for SHTF situations? So, if you don't have a feeding problem in your .22 then they're maybe not worth it. Your call.

A buddy with a coupla American 180s uses nothing but Mini-mags.

To answer your question, though, most manufacturers including Rem, Win, Fed offer low-priced .22 lr products, often bulk packed, usually 40 gr solids at the higher speeds. The difference in price between this stuff and Mini-mags isn't as great as that between Q3131A and Wolf.

Sam
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:00:04 PM EST

I get it from a local discount type store for $2.99 normal price or $2.50 when it is on sale.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:12:32 AM EST
Thank you all for your input. Now I know that CCI Mini Mags is good stuff. I guess you get what you pay for it. I use Remington Golden Bullet and Federal Value Pack 550's and my 10/22 jams once or twice every 2 mags of the 10 round magazine. It gets really frustrating when it jams a lot. About 10 years ago I used to buy the Remington Viper which really works good on my 10/22 but our local Kmart don't sell it anymore. I'll try to pick up some of those Vipers too at a gun show this coming weekend. Also will go shooting this morning and I'll post the results of the CCI Mini Mags on my 10/22 when I get back.

Thanks again,
556man
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:21:51 PM EST
Seems like everybody around me sells CCI bricks for $8-$10. Feeds well in my 10/22 and DPMS upper. Can also ask questions in ARMORY forum for 10/22.
Has links to other sites that can help you with inexpensive upgrades that make the 10/22 even a bit better.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:07:28 AM EST
Yes, somewhat expensive.

Easy to find, feeds well, very consistant, a bit dirty, and used by many manufacturers as the standard for function and spring designs. Most of my 22lr machineguns and conversions use the minimag platform.

2500 Bulk packs are available, but unfortunately not where I am damnit.

There are other good cartridges but if you are having problems, start with the minimag and branch out from there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:44:58 AM EST
Yup have DPMS .22 as well and LOVE mini mags. Having said that though the best round
I have found for target shooting has been wolf Match and Match extra. Ya I know you thinking Wolf etc
and yes its the same company but not made by wolf. Midway sells it along with everything else.
I just ordered 5000 rounds of CCI- Blazers which worked REAL well in my upper without the
HPER voliecty "sp?" of the mini mags. Cost me 90 bucks.. At;least I will be set for ammo
for a month. I have been ordering ammo from midway for awhile so check them out.

Midway CCI closeout

Wolf
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:27:28 AM EST
Mini mags are good
Wolf is great stuff but standard vel so won't run some semi auto guns well
Pmc Zapper is nice stuff,reasonable in price,functions good,and I have found better accuracy in my CEINER AR'S and my 10/22
PMC scoremaster worked excellent in my 10/22T but didn't function my standard 10/22. (Scoremaster is a standard vel round)
Some dislike the wolf .22lr because it is coated with a nasty greasy lube
If you find ammo that you and your gun likes try asking your local gun store for a price on a full case.There is a big markup on .22 ammo,I guess because it's shuch a pain to handle,many local joints can do much better on case lots.
Wholesale hunter has cases of CCI but shipping can be steep.They ship real fast and are a good outfit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:41:35 AM EST
I would agree that woilf is alittle on the greasy side feel wise but it suprisingly bunrs real clean.
I wonder what the markup is on say mimi mags.

wolf
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:38:24 AM EST
CCI Mini-Mags rock. I really like just about any of CCI .22 rimfire ammo, except for the standard velocity lead bullet loads. The CCI Green Tags shoot very well out of my heavy barrel Ruger 10/22.
Top Top