Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 10:51:53 PM EDT
Hey guys

I am looking to build my first AR, and I have been looking at the J&T, Model 1 etc kits.
Most kits list pinned M4 stocks and handguards as a $40 up charge. So what is the real differance between the CAR and M4 post ban stocks and guards. Is it worth the extra for the M4 stuff?

Gunner45
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The M4 handguards feel better, but the fake telestocks suck. Get an ACE stock or an A1.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:23:15 AM EDT
[#2]
CAR handguards are low profile and tapered, back to front. The M4 handguards are oval shaped and flat their full length. The M4 buttstock (not the buffer tube)is longer and has a bigger buttpad,than the CAR stock, and has external ribbing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Get which ever handgaurds feel beter to YOU. I really don't care either way, but the M4's look kinda fat and clumbsy to me, but it is your AR, have it your way!

The ACE ARFX skeletonized buttstock is really nice and looks great.  Anybody know where to get one for under $125?  I want one of these myself, but $125 seem like a lot for one bent tube, a (nice) buttplate, and a piece of foam.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
or an A1.
View Quote

for post bans I've become quite fond of the A1
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.del-ton.com/buttstock3.htm[/url]

Del-Ton has them for $95 w/o the buffer, tube, or spring.  $118 with everything.  Thought someone had them for $89, but can't remember who.

--Otter
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I forgot to add...I just built a J&T tactical light-weight kit, and had them upgrade from the stubby entry stock to the full-length ACE ARFX.  Only cost $40 for the upgrade!  (Yet another reason to go with J&T!) It looks great on the carbine!  I've got pics, but haven't been able to host them yet.

When you install it, make sure you READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and lube it a little.  I did not, and ended up tearing a few chunks out of the foam. [banghead]

--Otter
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Pleas post the pics ottergt. I would love to see how it looks.

Gunner45
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CAR handguards are low profile and tapered, back to front. The M4 handguards are oval shaped and flat their full length. The M4 buttstock (not the buffer tube)is longer and has a bigger buttpad,than the CAR stock, and has external ribbing.
View Quote

What he said, plus the M4 feels alot better to the shoulder. I did add a $10 extension/pad to my CAR stock which helped alot.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I found the Ace ARFX stock for $89 at DS Arms (the FAL guys).  just ordered one.  So yes, I think they provide that "high speed - low drag" look too.  Those that use them have nothing but good to say.  

What additional parts will I need when I get the lower? anyone know?.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Magazines and boolets.

Lots and lots of boolets.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Gunner45:

As requested...

[img]http://www.wideopenwest.com/~otter/jtkit_rifle2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.wideopenwest.com/~otter/jtkit_rifle3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.wideopenwest.com/~otter/jtkit_bbl3.jpg[/img]

--Otter
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top